Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I thought that either 60,000 or 100,000 miles was the recommended timing belt interval, so it's a little odd that they want to do it at 90,000....

But if 90,000 IS the right inverval:

I believe this is an interference engine, so yes, it is necessary (or you'll have to replace valves and pistons and heads when it eventually breaks). Since the water pump is driven by the timing belt on this (I think?), I'd replace it at the same time.

i'd change it, it's a good idea. most are 105,000 miles (the new belt you install will be a 105,000 mile specification belt). but i'd change a few miles before that. engine is worth too much to put off installing a $69 belt. (of course it'll be much more if you're paying someone else to do it).

i replace the water pump on the 105,000 mile belts because if you install the first belt around 90,000 and the next will be due close to 200,000 that's asking alot for the stock water pump. on the older 60,000 mile timing belts i'd essentially replace the water pump with every other timing belt change (at 120,000 which is close to where you're at now. closer than you'll be by the next timing belt change which will be close to 200,000). they can make it that long though, but i'd rather replace it. main reasons are that in order to replace the water pump you have to remove the timing belt anyway, so it's "right there" and doesn't require any extra work other than a couple bolts to get it off. but if you do'nt replace it and it fails in a year, then you're paying another huge bill (same price as timing belt) or taking the time yourself to replace the water pump. and another reason is that a failed water pump could ruin your new timing belt, wich isn't good on an interference motor because a broken belt can cause serious engine damage.

good idea to replace the crank seal, oil pump oring, tighten the oil pump screws (on the back), and cam seals as well. all of these extra's cost about $20 - $30 and are right in front of you once the timing belt is off. that being said - the mechanic can look at them with the belt off and only replace the ones that are leaking. i know a good number of people with 200,000 mile vehicles that have never had any seals replaced. so at least make darn sure he looks at the seals for leakage. actually you can check right now, under the very front of the motor, where the plastic, black timing belt cover meet the engine. if there's oil on the left or right side then a cam seal is leaking. if it's leaking in the center then the oil pump/crank shaft seal is to blame. replace them. (be advised, a sloppy oil pour can result in some oil on the drivers side where the oil fill tube is, it will eventually make it's way down to the bottom of the motor).

pardon the length and good luck.

i go to ohio once a month, i hope you're not up there with the lake effect snow and cloudy days, that gets old!!!