Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello!

I am a newbie and just had a couple of questions. My overhead clock on my 2001 subaru forester went out a few months back. It would periodically go off and then come back on for a moment, but it had been off for a while now. I needed to replace my O2 sensor so I asked my local Subaru dealer and they told me that the clocks go bad alot. I decided to go to a salvage yard and found a clock to install. It may not have worked before, but it definately doesn't now. Do you think the problem is in the clock alone or in the wires? I don't know whether I should keep trying salvage yards or if it is something more than the clock.

Also, I spilled a drink in my forester and it went directly into my cassete player. I have a cd player as well, both factory. It didn't work for a little while, but then began to work fine after drying out. Now my stereo only plays of the drver's side...nothing comes out of the left side. Do you think this is a problem with the reciever? I didn't know if I should look for a reciever at the salvage yard as well or if this would be a wiring problem. I would love any imput and really would like to get it fixed before i go out of town monday! Thanks for taking the time to read and help!!!!

Did you turn the balance all the way to the side that is not working? That should let you know something if you turn the good side off. If you have nothing it is most likely the connection.

Hello!

I am a newbie and just had a couple of questions. My overhead clock on my 2001 subaru forester went out a few months back. It would periodically go off and then come back on for a moment, but it had been off for a while now. I needed to replace my O2 sensor so I asked my local Subaru dealer and they told me that the clocks go bad alot. I decided to go to a salvage yard and found a clock to install. It may not have worked before, but it definately doesn't now. Do you think the problem is in the clock alone or in the wires? I don't know whether I should keep trying salvage yards or if it is something more than the clock.

Also, I spilled a drink in my forester and it went directly into my cassete player. I have a cd player as well, both factory. It didn't work for a little while, but then began to work fine after drying out. Now my stereo only plays of the drver's side...nothing comes out of the left side. Do you think this is a problem with the reciever? I didn't know if I should look for a reciever at the salvage yard as well or if this would be a wiring problem. I would love any imput and really would like to get it fixed before i go out of town monday! Thanks for taking the time to read and help!!!!

(DVM) is that the same as mutimeter? I'am lacking on electronic skills and names of the fancy tools. I do know how to check my small batteries with the mutimeter I have, and I think I can check the coil pact with it, at least I got the numbers to match what the Subaru manuel called for.

Here's my advise, acquire an inexpensive digital volt meter (DVM). We are living in the electronics age. A DVM is the electronic equivalent of the pocket knife, every guy in the know should have one.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have no clue about electronics...I admit I am still in the stone ages! I don't know much about vehicles (obviously) but I am not afraid of trying. I have my console in pieces right now trying to luck into fixing the problem...I don't own a device to check the juice to find out if there is a connection but I will look into getting one. I was just wondering if what the dealership was telling me was viable...could it infact be the reciever making the left side short out (the driver's side plays fine, the left side plays absolutely nothing)....and, could the clock just be bad luck with both mine and the one from the salvage yard. Before I put too much money in salvaged parts tha twon't work I just wanted some advice. Thanks again

squadboy50,

Since your one channel cut out on the radio just after your drink into the casette opening incident, I'd bet that the output to that channel is fritzed by a corroded or shorted out transister or contact. You don't say whether your rear speaker on the same side is out as well, but if it is, then the amplifier for that side has the problem, and not loose a connector in the back of the radio. Its too coincidental in this case. For $20 a radio repair shop can tell you what the problem is, and a projected cost. That should tell you if you need to find a used one. As for the clock, I've tried repairing the one in my 300ZX and failed. I'm looking for a good used one now as they are typically well over a $100. The one in my brother's Contour I resurrected by simply taking its LCD ribbon cable out and cleaning it with an ordinary pencil eraser and reinstalling it. My OBW has the digital clock in the speedometer head, so no help there, but you need a multi meter, and a lesson on how to use it. Basically after that, as long as your car battery is good, you'll put the meter contacts onto the wires that power the clock (stick the contacts into the car side of the connector after you've disconnected the clock). You should show power at all times, as I suspect that your clock is always on (my OBW always is). If a Forester's clock only lights up when the ignition is on, then that is when you'll find power. If there is no power to the plug under those different circumstances, you've got a problem with wiring or a fuse (check the fuse first!). Some clocks even have a 3 wire hookup, for added daylight brightness. Without a wiring diagram, I can't give you more to go on than that. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can jump in on the thread. Good Luck!

Thanks so much for your posts!!!! I am starting to get some light shed on this issue. I wish I could say I knew more about my forester! Nothing like a few little problems that you feel lik eyou should be able to take care of yourself to motivate you to learn more. I may hvae to take this one in to get it looked at due to the fact that I am not familiar enough with my subaru. If anyone else has any clue please feel free to chime in. My passenger side speakers are all out...front and back. Every few months they will come back for a day or so, and then go out again. I have checked all fuses for the clock and they are fine. It could be that the clock I got from the salvage yard was bad as well. I am going back tomorrow and see if they have a way of testing.