Ultimate Subaru Message Board

**Potential buyer of 2004-2005 Legacy, Convince me!***

Hey guys, thought I'd do a bit of homework with you guys and start here.

Basically i'm fed up of the snow so opting for an AWD and I hear good things about Subaru. Im looking at an 04-05 legacy or legacy gt (possibly turbo) 5 speed for sure.

So I'm gonna hit all of you with the basic questions about my future aquisition:

-Reliability, what are some known issues of common problems with the years i'm looking at.(Sensors, etc...) Is there any other model you would recommend in subaru that is more reliable if these are no good.

-Fuel economy average on a 2.5 non turbo.

-How do you guys like it? Are parts hard to find and expensive?

-Is it a good buy (vs something like an audi a4) I have a 98 nissan maxima right now, been satisfied but need something AWD.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey guys, thought I'd do a bit of homework with you guys and start here.

Basically i'm fed up of the snow so opting for an AWD and I hear good things about Subaru. Im looking at an 04-05 legacy or legacy gt (possibly turbo) 5 speed for sure.

So I'm gonna hit all of you with the basic questions about my future aquisition:

-Reliability, what are some known issues of common problems with the years i'm looking at.(Sensors, etc...) Is there any other model you would recommend in subaru that is more reliable if these are no good.

All new subies use the phase 2 2.5, its reliable and in every car they sell

-Fuel economy average on a 2.5 non turbo.

My dad gets about 25 in his Forester mix highway and city

-How do you guys like it? Are parts hard to find and expensive?

Umm, this is a Subaru board, were here cause we love em. Depends where "international" is.

-Is it a good buy (vs something like an audi a4) I have a 98 nissan maxima right now, been satisfied but need something AWD.

Its much cheaper than any comparable audi, and more reliable too.

Thanks for the feedback!

The lateset iteration of the 2.5 liter engine has increase stroke and reduced bore. No doubt this allows a bigger seal area around the cylinder top and head surface, so the headgaskets are less likely to be sensitive to skimped maintenance.

Subaru's don't have many inherent weaknesses, so you are unlikely to be dissappointed.

The AWD system works very well in snow - it doesn't plough straight on like I suspect your Maxima does ??

For fuel economy, I would suggest buying the 2.0 liter model. New engine has 160bhp...but that's a Euro spec engine, where are you at?

stay newer than 2001, i believe that's when the phase I 2.5's ended. if you go older get a 2.2 liter, those motors are awesome.

i personally don't like the newer ones because they don't have a center locking differential like the old ones have. they should have kept that option in my oppinion. locking the diff is so much better than any LSD variant. but they are nice and do drive very well in the snow.

i did my cousin's timing belt on her new subaru at 100,000 miles of trouble free driving. one cracked cv boot, that's annoying but no cause for alarm. you'll find subaru motors quite robust and the blocks will run longer than most people care to give them good maintenane for.

I have an 05 LW. Love the car (stereo upgrades is an issue, if you are a stereophyle/mp3 user, you may want to search the boards). This winter is my first experience with AWD in the snow... What a blast!

I don't know if you have test driven the cars yet, but the 2.5i might be plenty powerful enough for you, especially when considering the savings in initial cost and fuel. I know at least the 05' turbos use premium gasoline here in the US.

Yeah , personally I think the easiest way to convince you is to go drive one. I test drove an 05 GT Ltd wagon and almost traded my STi in on it. They are such nice cars to drive. Only downfall I found was that with the '05 you had to get the limited package for the sunroof, and that meant it came with leather. The GT Turbo is pretty darn fast, but you suffer in the fuel mileage and I'm sure it atleast requires middle grade gas if not premium. My daily drivers are a 2.2 and a 2.5 non turbo and they both have enough power for daily driving.

As for reliabilty... way better than Audi has been in recent years. The 2.5i engine has been refined in the 10 years its out and is pretty good. The GT Turbo motor is the same motor as in the STi, but de-tuned. So far I haven't heard of any stock STi motor problems.

Keith