Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater Not Hot!

I have read some other posts on this and i just want to know if anybody has any ideas. I changed the thermostat and just did a COMPLETE tune up on my car along with cv-shafts, and clutch and exhaust. My heater heats to slightly warm but not hot. Does anybody have any ideas. I didnt refill the car on ramps after i changed the thermostat then i read a post about that. Could that have anything to do with it, and if so, how do i fix it. Please help out! Thanks a lot!!! The car is a 92 loyale 4wd.

Guedo

It could be air in the system. It's not that difficult to fix. If you can park the car with the nose uphill, it makes it easier. Just open the radiator cap and squeeze the upper radiator hose. Refill the radiator, and keep doing that until no more air comes out. Make sure your cap is good, your overflow line is connected and good, and that you have coolant in the overflow tank. I'm curious whether this problem existed before you changed the thermostat.

Yes, it did exist before but, and thats what i thought the problem was so i changed it, but i still have the problem. Thanks for the help!

It could be air in the system. It's not that difficult to fix. If you can park the car with the nose uphill, it makes it easier. Just open the radiator cap and squeeze the upper radiator hose. Refill the radiator, and keep doing that until no more air comes out. Make sure your cap is good, your overflow line is connected and good, and that you have coolant in the overflow tank. I'm curious whether this problem existed before you changed the thermostat.

I hate to be a naegative nancy, but it could be your heater core...so then you have to decide if you'd rather have no heat, or rip 3/4 of your dash apart to change it.

An easier fix may be a stuck valve on one of the inlet houses to the heater core, or once my friend had a similar issue and it ended up being just the wire connection on the back of the heater controll nob itself.

I guess start with that and go backwards is my advice, but I by no means am telling you I'm positive of any of this.

thanks a lot, im not going to rule out the heater core but the carpet is dry and usually the carpet gets soaked whent that goes out if i am correct. How would i check for the plugs in the hoses? Also, the heat is warm then drastically cold at the slighest movement of the control knob. Thanks!

A couple more possibilities: There doesn't have to be any leakeage for a heater core to be partially or wholly blocked, as the blockage is internal. You could try reverse-flushing the core. Also, it's possible your heater door isn't closing completely. There is a door connected by a cable to the heater control on your dash. When you move that control lever, the door opens and closes to let the outside air directly in or force it through the core. You might want to have someone move the control lever while you watch the lever on the door to see if it's moving freely or binding.

there is no valve for the heater core in the later GL/Loyale series. check the cable and see if the connecting rod at the heater is allowed its full range of movement. if some critter tried building a nest in the heater at some point, it could be restricting it, or the cable could have jumped loose at some place.

I don't think you mentioned the airflow, is it blowing properly strong out of all directions? that is another cable that could have jumped.

Pardon my opportunism but I have a good EA82 heater core on my parts shelf that I can send you for $35 shipped, if you decide it needs to be replaced.

The airflow is great through every vent so im not sure what to check. Did you guys say there is no air control valve on my year or there is? If so i will check out that. How do you do a reverse flush of the heater core? Can you do it while its still on the car? Thanks for all the help.

Reverse flushing the heater core is pretty easy. If you want to flush your entire cooling system, you can reverse the heater hoses while you're doing it to reverse flush the core. Otherwise, you can disconnect the hoses to the heater and run a hose through the outlet side to see if it loosens up anything.

You do have a heater box air control. It's connected by a cable to the temperature control on your dash. If the lever on the door under the dash is not moving freely when you move the temp control, that might be your problem.

What you don't have is a heater control valve. That's a valve on some cars that sits in line on the heater hose and shuts off the flow of hot water to the core. EAs don't have them.

pull the hoses to the heater core off. (there are two hoses connected to the fire wall giong to the heater core, remove them). i leave the hose connected at the firewall and disconnect the other end. you'll have two hoses, inlet and outlet. blow water or compressed air through them to flush out any junk. i've done this before, it's very easy. might as well replace the hose and clamps while you're going through the trouble.

be careful where the hose clamps at the firewall, the hose actually clamps to the heater core, don't break it.

gotta go.

pull the hoses to the heater core off. (there are two hoses connected to the fire wall giong to the heater core, remove them). i leave the hose connected at the firewall and disconnect the other end. you'll have two hoses, inlet and outlet. blow water or compressed air through them to flush out any junk. i've done this before, it's very easy. might as well replace the hose and clamps while you're going through the trouble.

be careful where the hose clamps at the firewall, the hose actually clamps to the heater core, don't break it.

gotta go.

Don't apply too much air/water pressure, either.

Heater cores aren't as strong as radiators.