Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. Here is my issues:

Two weeks ago my check engine light came on, I work at a service center so was able to hook it up to the computer and the only code that it was giving out was p0325 which was just a knock sensor...but then the light went off. I put in a new thermostat, which was needed, but the check engine light stayed off. I took my car up to Maine today which the round trip was 4 hours, the check engine light came back on and it started kind of bucking. Like it's not getting enough power I push on the gas peddal and it hesitates then speeds forward. I swung by work and had one of the guys hook my car up to the computer, no communication this time. Nothing was being read what so ever. Does anyone have any ideas about what may be the problem, or if anyone has had anything similar to this. I have a 1998 Forester. Thanks.

theory has it that a knock sensor will cause the same thing,acts like fuel problem. as i understand it the timing is retarded when this takes place.

I understand the knock sensor part, but what I don't understand is why there would be absolutely no communication to the computer...

so I finally figure this out. I had bought my Forester in May of 05.

I bring it in the shop at work and there is no communication to the computer. One of the guys found that there was a bad connection to the computer so he fixed it. then we could connect to the computer and the code showed up at both 02's bad...then he clears it out, we take it for a drive and it shows up as the knock sensor...we look further into it and realize that it needs a new ign coil...thats all it turned out to be...so I just did new coil, new plugs and wires since I have no record of what was done when for maintence on this car...it drives wonderful now.

so I finally figure this out. I had bought my Forester in May of 05.

I bring it in the shop at work and there is no communication to the computer. One of the guys found that there was a bad connection to the computer so he fixed it. then we could connect to the computer and the code showed up at both 02's bad...then he clears it out, we take it for a drive and it shows up as the knock sensor...we look further into it and realize that it needs a new ign coil...thats all it turned out to be...so I just did new coil, new plugs and wires since I have no record of what was done when for maintence on this car...it drives wonderful now.

Glad to hear it wasn't actually a knock sensor. I had heard that if neglected, a bad knock sensor can result in tearing an engine apart.

Glad to hear it wasn't actually a knock sensor. I had heard that if neglected, a bad knock sensor can result in tearing an engine apart.

yeah I can imagine. I think I might change it anyway since it was a code thrown at one point. I bought my car back in May and have had so many problems with it its crazy. Some of the guys at work give me crap about driving a foreign car. I keep on telling them that I love my car and will deal with it. I think they are sick of playing around with it. hahaha

yeah I can imagine. I think I might change it anyway since it was a code thrown at one point. I bought my car back in May and have had so many problems with it its crazy. Some of the guys at work give me crap about driving a foreign car. I keep on telling them that I love my car and will deal with it. I think they are sick of playing around with it. hahaha

A few questions real quick:

How many miles on your Forrester?

How long ago did you purchase?

Warranty?

Local Dealer?

Ever do a Carfax? If so, ever, especially recently (past few years) registered in Florida or Louisiana?

you know what, my idiot self never got a carfax on this car. I was excitied that it was a good deal. Anyway, I can at least tell you this: I purchased my car May of 2005. It has 148300 on it now. The only warranty that came with the car when I bought it, didn't cover anything...haha, it was such a useless warranty and they tried to sell me another outrageous one that also didn't cover anything. I will leave the VIN in case someone wants to run a carfax if they have any free ones, and also my e-mail.

VIN: JF1SF6554WG703699

E-Mail: xpinnheddx@yahoo.com

Warranty?

Local Dealer?

Ever do a Carfax? If so, ever, especially recently (past few years) registered in Florida or Louisiana?

yeah, I changed the knock sensor today. the old one was so nasty, the new one is so pretty. haha. it runs very nice now.

Warranty?

Local Dealer?