Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator and ECU Code 35

Questions:

1. Is it safe to test your alternator by starting you car and then disconnecting the negative on your battery to see if the car still runs?

I have read conflicting reports, it is bad to do on "newer cars" but it might be an easy way to test older cars?

I have a 1986 GL-10 Turbo.

2. The code 35 Air Flow Meter/EGR Solenoid Switch or Circuit was flashing when i tested it...how vital is that to fix? How would i go about fixing it?

Thanks

Nate

They were referring to disconnecting the battery to see if the alternator is still putting off enough power to keep the other systems running. I hope it isn't a problem to do that because I swap batteries with my cars running all the time.

Edit: It is not an accurate way to test your alternator.. you should have autozone do it.. or if you know someone with a multimeter have them test the voltage should be around 14 at idle.

Questions:

1. Is it safe to test your alternator by starting you car and then disconnecting the negative on your battery to see if the car still runs?

It won't hurt anything to do that. It will show you if its charging or not. Using a multineter is a better way, as it shows how much the alt is putting out.