Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Better off roading...'84 GL or Loyale?

madmac18

Hey, I have a question. Is there a big difference in off-roading capablilities between an '84 gen GL or an '85+ GL/Loyale wagon? I'm talking intermediate off roading...nothing like serious pro or anything. My '84 GL wagon is stock and seems to not notice sand, gravel, snow, or dirt. I've got it up for sale, and before I consider any low-ball offers (I can't even afford to license it in March), I'd like to know if there is a big difference in these cars. I've seen a few members with their Gen 3s (Loyale) lifted and mod'd...are these easier or harder to get off-road parts? Would an automatic be worthless with big tires? Is there anything to avoid? Should I just keep my wagon and let it sit for months because I can't license it????:banghead:

I don't want to sell my GL...no 4wd after just getting it! :-(...but won't have money coming in until this summer for it or replacement.

Appreciate any info re this. New to Subies and off-roading. THX

madmac18@hotmail.com

The immediate advantage that comes to mind with the Loyale is the absence of a dual range transmission. That alone would be reason to hang onto the older GL model.

Really? I had no idea that the Loyale didn't have d/r. Does it only have high, or low? For 4bying only a low would be okay, unless you need to go on the freeway in the snow.

I've already decided to sell the GL...hope I can find another one this fall! Gonna cry over this one, but need the money more.

Thanks for the input...and I'll take any more so that I know what to look for this summer/fall.

Thanks!

1st off, I would not use an auto for big tires.

As for what Single Range v. Dual Range is - single is 4WD w/ same gearing as 2WD. D/R is Hi-same as 2WD and Lo-all gears are reduced for crawling and lowspeed operation.

I would definately not want to offroad w/out Lo-range. But using 4Hi you can do plenty of stuff you just have to hit hills/obstacles with some serious momentum which is definately fun and destructive.

Good luck!

Hey, I have a question. Is there a big difference in off-roading capablilities between an '84 gen GL or an '85+ GL/Loyale wagon? I'm talking intermediate off roading...nothing like serious pro or anything. My '84 GL wagon is stock and seems to not notice sand, gravel, snow, or dirt. I've got it up for sale, and before I consider any low-ball offers (I can't even afford to license it in March), I'd like to know if there is a big difference in these cars. I've seen a few members with their Gen 3s (Loyale) lifted and mod'd...are these easier or harder to get off-road parts? Would an automatic be worthless with big tires? Is there anything to avoid? Should I just keep my wagon and let it sit for months because I can't license it????:banghead:

I don't want to sell my GL...no 4wd after just getting it! :-(...but won't have money coming in until this summer for it or replacement.

Appreciate any info re this. New to Subies and off-roading. THX

madmac18@hotmail.com

Bearing in mind that body-style preference plays a part too...I prefer the Loyale for power steering, fuel injection, more power, still easy to work on. Swap in a D/R tranny (I plan to do mine this summer) and convert the rear end to LSD (ditto, this summer).

Bearing in mind that body-style preference plays a part too...I prefer the Loyale for power steering, fuel injection, more power, still easy to work on. Swap in a D/R tranny (I plan to do mine this summer) and convert the rear end to LSD (ditto, this summer).

Huh...where do you get the D/R tranny from? Does my '84 have a limited slip? The PS would be nice...I haven't done any major off roading to notice a difference in that department with my manual steering except one time I bounced off a railroad tie that was hidden and the wheel just about broke my hand. Don't know if PS would help with that or not. Regular bumps on intermediate quad trails didn't seem to faze the car at all. The more I talk about it, the more I hate selling it! Aargh, but I need the money.....:banghead: So far no bites on the car, so maybe it won't go? I know I can get another one, but looks like it could take some time if I don't go the Loyale way. Most people around here drive their early Subies into the ground, and the "Easters" rot away.

Keep in mind that I'll have to pay someone to do major mechanical swaps like eng., tranny, anything besides brakes, most suspension work, etc. A lot of gals may be strong enough to do that stuff, but not me, unfortunately, because of medical reasons.

All this info is great. Thanks, guys!

Dude both 2nd and 3rd Gen soobs came with single AND dual range. HOWEVER:

*Automatic trans. are all single range (Hi)

*DLs are single range (Hi)

*Some 3rd Gen have push button single range (Hi)

I say stick with the 2nd Gen because it may have a little less power BUT it has no timing belts and less computer BS.

Yeah, my '84 definately has some torque. As far as belts go, I have a Honda so I know about them =). The only things that bother me about my wagon are the lack of street power (I'm usually the one passing, not holding up), and it's not a great long distance traveller (for getting TO the mountains). But other than that...it's so fuuuunnnnnn!

Okay, and AT is out, maybe I can find a Loyale with the D/R. There is a wagon like mine near me that has a good body and has been sitting for a year in someone's yard...don't know any more about it. Maybe if it's still there this fall I'll ask about it if I can't find running one around here. I'd prefer one that is good mechanically that I can just concentrate on getting off-road ready. Dented body is not a big concern as long as the frame and susp. mounts are okay.

Oh, so hard! So hard!:(

Keep in mind that I'll have to pay someone to do major mechanical swaps like eng., tranny, anything besides brakes, most suspension work, etc. A lot of gals may be strong enough to do that stuff, but not me, unfortunately, because of medical reasons.

Here's a simple plan for building an off road rig:

• Collect parts over time
  • Buy beer and pizzas
  • Invite folks from board over for a build weekend
  • Celebrate newly built rig by burying it in delicious tasty mud:grin:

Here's a simple plan for building an off road rig:

• Collect parts over time
  • Buy beer and pizzas
  • Invite folks from board over for a build weekend
  • Celebrate newly built rig by burying it in delicious tasty mud:grin:

Sounds good!!! :headbang: