Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical system blues/Crank angle sensor

I am in the process of trying to track down a problem with my 96 OBW (EJ22) manual trans periodically not starting (when the car is half warmed up). When the problem first appeared this past autumn, it was giving a cam angle sensor code. I replaced the sensor but the starting problem persisted. The car is now at the Subie mechanic here and he is now getting a Crankshaft angle sensor code after the car doesn't start. He states that is he cools the sensor off for about 10 seconds with the A/C (?????) that the vehicle with start again. Seemingly the sensor is too hot.

Questions:

-Can the crank angle sensor cause the car not to start periodically (currently it starts fine when cold and starts fine after it has been driven more than 15 minutes)?

-Is the sensor the problem or could it be a larger problem causing the sensor to throw a code (e.g. computer)?

More specically: We can't determine if the Crank Shaft Angle Sensor is the same for Indiana-built Outbacks (mine) as Japanese-built versions? My experiences have shown that electrical systems are not the same. Is it possible to cross-reference part number(s)?

Thanks!

Sweden

I am in the process of trying to track down a problem with my 96 OBW (EJ22) manual trans periodically not starting (when the car is half warmed up). When the problem first appeared this past autumn, it was giving a cam angle sensor code. I replaced the sensor but the starting problem persisted. The car is now at the Subie mechanic here and he is now getting a Crankshaft angle sensor code after the car doesn't start. He states that is he cools the sensor off for about 10 seconds with the A/C (?????) that the vehicle with start again. Seemingly the sensor is too hot.

Questions:

-Can the crank angle sensor cause the car not to start periodically (currently it starts fine when cold and starts fine after it has been driven more than 15 minutes)?

-Is the sensor the problem or could it be a larger problem causing the sensor to throw a code (e.g. computer)?

More specically: We can't determine if the Crank Shaft Angle Sensor is the same for Indiana-built Outbacks (mine) as Japanese-built versions? My experiences have shown that electrical systems are not the same. Is it possible to cross-reference part number(s)?

Thanks!

Sweden

Hi Sweden,

I had the exact problem on my 1995 Legacy Wagon (2.2L engine). Replacing the crankshaft position sensor fixed the problem. The guy at AutoZone looked up the make and model and got me the part. I don't know if there are seperate parts for Legacies and Imprezzas that use the same engine.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Mine was a pain in the butt untill I replaced the sensor.

Swede, the ECU will not pulse the injectors or fire the plugs until it has seen a signal from the crankshaft sensor. So, yes if that's faulty the car will not start.

Good to keep in mind if you like dry-cranking the engine after an oil change. Unplug the crank sensor and crank the engine for ten seconds or so. Twice.

Of course, I prefer to just fill the oil filter before screwing it on.

Pardon me for taking off at a tangent :-)

Thanks Setright

This sounds better and better; I'd rather replace a sensor than a ECU...

I am wondering though, why the vehicle was initially (or even up to rather recently) spitting out a Cam Angle Sensor code and not a Crank Angle Sensor code? This was even after I replaced the Cam Sensor. Is this logical?

Tangents are sometimes helpful. I'll start filling the filter as well...

Sweden

Well, the cam sensor is used to double check the engine position. The car will start and run without it working, but if the cam sensor returns a "no movement" signal even though the crank sensor has registered movement, then the ECU will complain.

In short: The crankshaft sensor has higher priority.

• 3 weeks later...

awesome, good to hear.

if you're having multiple sensor issues, it is a good idea to check the wiring connector that plugs into the sensor. remove it and look at the contacts in the harness and the contacts on the sensor. corrossion can easily cause the sensors to have issues, particularly intermittent issues depending on the connectivity of the corroded connection. this is similar to a short and can generate heat as well.

most likely the sensors went bad, but good to check the above scenario because new sensors will only temporarily fix the problem unless the harness was cleaned prior to installing the new sensor. replacing the sensor, in a very rough way, removes "half" of the corrossion while the remaining half stays in the connector and contaminates the new sensor sometime down the road.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go back and clean them. I have the feeling though that the sensor problem was caused by a month-plus of engine pulsing caused by having the wrong alternator in the vehicle (different set-points in alternators). The sensor problem (and starting problem) stated occuring during the time I had the incorrect alternator in the vehicle. My guess is that persistant electricity pulses burnt them out. Is this possible?

Sweden

I have the exact same problem (96 OBW 2.2),replaced the Crank sensor and it worked great for a few days before I got the starting problems...I just need to get over my laziness and get the other sensor fixed,I just usually park on hills so i can catch it in gear if it doesn't wanna start.

So that brings up another question... what's the best way to clean electrical connectors? Spray 'em down with electronics contact cleaner?

depends really. the sensor contacts or the wiring harness connectors? and are they corroded or just dirty?

the sensor contacts i usually use a tiny screw driver and scrape them off. contact/electrical cleaner never seems to do much good though i spray it on there anyway. if it's really bad i'll srap a piece of fine grit sand paper around a screwdriver and clean them off that way.

if it's the electrical wiring harness they are really difficult to clean if it's corrosion. if it's dirt/grease it should wash away with some solvents. if it's corrosion it's really annoying to get up in there and get it all out. i've replaced the connector before (with a used one, just splice it in line) or used tiny eyeglass screwdrivers to get up there and clean out the little areas. i've also completely cut the harness off on XT6 water temperature sensors and soldered the wires directly to the sensor because the problem is so prevalent and reoccurring. wrap them good and tight and it's permanent solution.