Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie questions (Code + speedo)

Hi,

I did a search, but did not get responses i can be sure of, so here I go !

1) My car:

1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon, AWD, 5 speed, no air, power windows, new clutch

2) My problems:

a) Check engine comes on. Stays on permanently (Goes away of I disconntect the battery and comes back on after I drive for + - 5 minutes)

B) Speedometer and odometer dont work at all, even if I changed the speedo cable.

3) My questions:

a) Where is the best place to get the codes read for relatively cheap. My 2 local lgarages cant do this as they say they do not have the right computers.

B) Could the check engine be a result form the speedo not working ?

c) Which repair manual do you suggest ? When i had my VW's, I had a Bentley, which was GREAT ! With other cars, I had either haynes or Chilton, which were OK at best...

Thanks a lot folks ! Glad to be part of Subarus !

Cheers

JF

their are 2 black plugs under the dash. plug them together and turn the key on. the light will flash you the codes.

to get to it take the screws out of that panel under the steering wheel above your legs.

look around they are there. count the number of flashes long and short.

You'll find all the info on the codes and how to check them on my site.

www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

BTW, your problem is possibly the gear inside the transmission. If you disconnect the cable from the trans. Put the end in a drill, spin it, and see if the speedo works. (key needs to be in the ON position) If the speedo works, then the issue is inside the transmission. If it doesn't work, then it's the speed sensor in the dash, and you should replace the whole combination meter with a different one.

And yes the speedo not working is probably the cause of your CEL.

my speedo also doesnt work...however mine moves..just bounces back and forth never accurate...took it to the garage i bought it from we replaced the cable didnt do anything....so he says its the speedo unit..the whole dash...however to replace that would mean i have to go with the miles that are on the dash im getting from the junk yard right? how does that work?

You only have to replace the combination meter assembly. The front plastic black trim piece needs to be removed. You will either need to drop the steering wheel column by loosening the two bolts holding it up, or take the steering wheel off to get the trim plastic off. Once that's removed you should be able to get access to the combination meter.

As for the miles, yeah you're just going to have to keep track of it......I don't know if the plastic piece comes off the gauge assembly. If it does....try adjusting the numbers to where yours currently is.