Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pull engine to change clutch on '96 OBW?

My Dad's '96 OBW is started to show some signs of clutch slippage (and smells after plowing uphill through deep snow). 167k on the original clutch. He's hoping it'll last till spring to replace it. The question is, to pull the engine, or drop the tranny to replace it. On my EA cars, I prefer to pull the engine (and there's lots of threads on here asking about that), but I've never done a clutch on the EJ series. Probably fewer people doing their own clutches on those?

Also, are these clutches very specific, or are they like the EA series -- same clutch for 10 years or so. He's wondering if it'll be different than the '97 OBW with the 2.5 engine, or different than the 2.2 in the legacy non-outback.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Zeke

Edit: if it makes any difference, we have an overhead chainhoist on a track, but no lift, and no paved surface to work on.

My Dad's '96 OBW is started to show some signs of clutch slippage (and smells after plowing uphill through deep snow). 167k on the original clutch. He's hoping it'll last till spring to replace it. The question is, to pull the engine, or drop the tranny to replace it. On my EA cars, I prefer to pull the engine (and there's lots of threads on here asking about that), but I've never done a clutch on the EJ series. Probably fewer people doing their own clutches on those?

Also, are these clutches very specific, or are they like the EA series -- same clutch for 10 years or so. He's wondering if it'll be different than the '97 OBW with the 2.5 engine, or different than the 2.2 in the legacy non-outback.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Zeke

i don't know about pulling the engine. i'd imagine the tranny would suffice.

however, there's no difference between the outback and the legacy. what you need to look for is engine size. though i could be wrong, you'll need a 2.5 clutch for a 2.5 car.

however, there's no difference between the outback and the legacy. what you need to look for is engine size. though i could be wrong, you'll need a 2.5 clutch for a 2.5 car.

The 96 legacy OBW was the last year of the 2.2 with the 5spd, the autos got the first of the 2.5 motor.

I belive most pull the motor out instead of the tranny.

The 96 legacy OBW was the last year of the 2.2 with the 5spd, the autos got the first of the 2.5 motor.

I belive most pull the motor out instead of the tranny.

I had the displeasure of replacing the clutch on my '91 Legacy about 3 months ago....I pulled the tranny. It took Corky and me just over 10 hours. I did rent a transmission jack for that repair.

Two weeks ago, I had to replace the engine (don't ask). Pulled the engine, moved the flywheel and new clutch off the old engine and mounted it on the new engine, and re-installed the new engine. It took us 5 hours.

Do you need anymore encouragement? We did have an engine hoist and did the job in my garage. Seems you have a block and tackle to hoist the engine out.

I had the displeasure of replacing the clutch on my '91 Legacy about 3 months ago....I pulled the tranny. It took Corky and me just over 10 hours. I did rent a transmission jack for that repair.

Two weeks ago, I had to replace the engine (don't ask). Pulled the engine, moved the flywheel and new clutch off the old engine and mounted it on the new engine, and re-installed the new engine. It took us 5 hours.

Do you need anymore encouragement? We did have an engine hoist and did the job in my garage. Seems you have a block and tackle to hoist the engine out.

Thanks. Sounds like pulling the engine is the way to go. We've got a 1 ton chain hoist on a track bolted to a 12" log in the roof of the garage that we built a few years ago to change a 351W V8 engine in the ford pickup. I figure that'll handle the subaru engine. But the garage still has a dirt floor... typical eastern washington. I wasn't looking forward to crawling around in the dirt under the car.