Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oxygen sensor vs fuel economy

Hey subi lovers, i got few questions for this forum. I would like to know if there's a link between the huge amount of smoke that goes out of my car when i start my loyale 93 and for the next 30 mins, and the cold weather.

My other concern is about the oxygene sensor that i replace 4 months ago, since then, my car was really economic until 3 weeks ago. And my mpg is almost the double as it was.

thx, don't hesitate if you need clarification...

What a coincidence! I just came online to ask a similar question. My Acura used to get 35 mpg highway, now gets 28. Just did a complete tuneup--plugs, cap, rotor, air filter. It has 77K miles on it. I wonder if the oxygen sensor could be why it gets only 80% of the milieage it used to get. It has always run perfectly, by the way, just the mileage got worse.

Also, does it matter where you buy the O2 sensor? Should you always go to the dealer or do auto parts stores have good ones?

Bosch makes oxygen sensors for most of the new equipment manufacturers. You can get a sensor for your car that has the correct plug on it, or you can save a little money and buy the universal fit and splice the wire. Since it's a 1-wire sensor, it's an easy job.

Also, does it matter where you buy the O2 sensor? Should you always go to the dealer or do auto parts stores have good ones?

I have just checked my first "original" sensor. Believe it or not but it is Bosh universal.

It lasted 7 years. From 1992 to 1999. The car is 1992 Loyale FWD W/AT.

Sam

i've ran without an O2 sensor a number of times (car runs fine) and experienced no noticeable loss in gas mileage. in an XT6 and almost entirely highway miles. those weren't in top notch running condition and were already getting below average gas mileage for the XT6, but still no change with or without the O2.

• 9 months later...

I'll be replacing my O2 sensor in the next week or so and have been doing a little searching on this topic. I've noticed gas mileage slowly decreasing and being that I haven't touched the O2 sensor in 4+ years I'm assuming its starting to die. All the heat sheilding on the exhaust has rusted or fallen off so the O2 sensor is much easier to access.

You can also speed up closed loop operation (O2 feedback, better mileage) with a heated oxygen sensor. I used to make conversion kits for Turbo Dodges and it helped out quite a bit. Also on accuracy as there is a dedicated O2 ground.

I'm curious if anyone has tried this on an older Subie. It seems to make a lot of sense, as opposed to the single wire O2 sensor that relies on exhaust temp to heat it up. A quick Google search didn't come up with much.