Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 97 OBW has finally gone up in steam...

This afternoon, after several weeks of diagnosing the crud in the coolant expansion tank, changing radiator caps, filling it up when the fans start to come on with the front on an incline....I thought I had it whipped and then today....temp gauge goes from normal to 1/8" below "H" on the gauge. NO heat coming from the heater, wound up driving about 4 miles to get it home. Expansion tank has overflown, bound to be the head gaskets. Guess it'll go in the garage until I can fix it, meanwhile I'll drive my 69 Porsche 912 with the VW Type IV 2.0 liter vanagon engine conversion.

Then I start thinking......how about a 2.0 liter VW type IV engine in my 97 Outback wagon with the 5 speed manual transmission?? I'd have an air cooled engine and it'd be the end all for the head gasket problem! Think it could be done??

:drunk:

Then I start thinking......how about a 2.0 liter VW type IV engine in my 97 Outback wagon with the 5 speed manual transmission?? I'd have an air cooled engine and it'd be the end all for the head gasket problem! Think it could be done??

So what kind of drugs are you doing and why arent you sharing? :drunk:

Guess you dont like heat. Your not too fond of acceleration or gas mileage wither.

ALso if you read on the subavan boards, they can list a few 100 reasons for going the other way. Car would be underpowered, geared all wrong, and from the Vw to subaru boards unreliable. Forget about ever passing an emission test.

The big red flag to a bad headgasket was the crud in the overflow tank. Only one thing causes that.

Now to get back to serious discussions

did give me a good giggle

nipper

From what I've heard, the VW wasserboxers last about 75k before something goes out. Even the phase I 2.5's usually last longer than that before blowing the HG, which is why it's so popular to put the subaru engines in the vanagons.

But you are talking about the air cooled VW. Hmmm. I suppose it could be done. But if you are going to all the trouble of putting a VW engine in a subaru, why not stick the VW diesel engine in there (yeah, I know, it's the wrong shape.... )

After seeing the thread on the two turbo + SC WRX, I'd like to think you could make an inline 4cyl diesel fit under a Subaru hood. Maybe make it a slant 4 like the Camry has, or maybe do an STi hood swap. Either way, you'd probably need two small radiators with the engine between them.