Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy Auto Transmission/Speedometer Problem

I just got the auto transmission in my 1994 Legacy AWD swapped out with a Japanese imported one (was going to do it myself but no time). When I got it back from a local transmision shop there's an issue with the speedometer/odometer not working. The mechanic said that the one he put in is "older" than a 94 and doesn't have the proper wiring to rig up to the computer. Is this a common problem on swapping Legacy transmissions or is he blowing smoke somewhere ? He mentioned rewiring to the ABS system wheel sensors. Any possible fixes, suggestions or advice on this would be helpful. Thanks !

I just got the auto transmission in my 1994 Legacy AWD swapped out with a Japanese imported one (was going to do it myself but no time). When I got it back from a local transmision shop there's an issue with the speedometer/odometer not working. The mechanic said that the one he put in is "older" than a 94 and doesn't have the proper wiring to rig up to the computer. Is this a common problem on swapping Legacy transmissions or is he blowing smoke somewhere ? He mentioned rewiring to the ABS system wheel sensors. Any possible fixes, suggestions or advice on this would be helpful. Thanks !

Whaaaa? I thought it was of the cable type. This doesn't sound right...

That's what I thought too. He mentioned that it was the same trannie as a Nissan and that they could splice a early 90's 4x4 Pathfinder harness into the ABS system wheel speed sensors (they did it before on an Impreza). Could they have broke something in the swap ? It shifts fine, just no speedo or odometer.

Sounds like the wrong transmission sent to them. The 4EAT is a subaru tranny only I'm sure.

That's what I thought too. He mentioned that it was the same trannie as a Nissan and that they could splice a early 90's 4x4 Pathfinder harness into the ABS system wheel speed sensors (they did it before on an Impreza). Could they have broke something in the swap ? It shifts fine, just no speedo or odometer.

Who knows, I think he was talking about the Impreza trannie, something about it fitting a Nissan 240. The trannie they put in was the same as mine (I bought it), just something about the speedo setup being different. I may take it to another shop and see if they can fix it. It seemed easy to me, take one trannie out put the same trannie in.