Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i got a free 86 xt turbo......

guy couldnt get it to start...... well it had a 4 sale sign and when i asked how much he said if you get it out of my yard today you can have it..... haha...

86 xt turbo 5 speed....... kind of rusty but no floorpan rust..... no muffler... wont start but will turn over...... he said the turbo was bad?....... anything specific i should be looking at or any common problems?

You need three things to get a car to run... Fire (Spark), Fuel, Air. Check to see if you are getting spark when it turns over. If yes.. check to see if you are getting fuel.. (is the fuel pump coming on for a second with the key in the "on" position before you attempt to start it?) Make sure there is no rats nests or rags or anything weird in the intake system.. check the air filter to make sure it is not clogged.. If all of that stuff checks out and still no start, I would do a compression test, and then the timing belts. Good luck.

well the car cranks..... there is spark..... there is no gas when i pull the plugs?.... the air suspension does work though..... has brand new tires...... no fuses are blown........ all lights work....... ummm im not really familiar with these things..... fuel pump does kick on though when i hit they key........ also the car has no exhaust..... well none after the back axel anyways.....

Thoes moters are overhead cam, driven by timming belts. If they are broken, the engine will not fire due to a lack of valves opening or closing. It's sounding like that may be the problem. The belts are behind that big black plastic cover on the front of the engine. Might want to pop one side off and take a look, Or do a compression test, see if anything shows up.

Check the timing belts. There are 2 rubber plugs on the front of the T belt case in the middle. Pull them out and stick your fingers in the holes and feel if the belts are under tension, then move on to fuel. Checking if it has spark does not mean neccecarily that the belt is broken. My dad's old car still sparked but the rotor didn't turn, and it sent him barking up the fuel pump tree for a while.