Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rough idle , weak top end

well here we go guys. started driving the gl now noticing things.shes having rough idle, like thers a miss . looked at air filter and wires all seem fine. just a once over though.dont hear or notice any vac leaks. also shes got good response of the light, but when your on the highway she tops uot at around70 at about 4200 rpm. whats in order guys? tune up maybey? shes an 88 wagon w/111k on. any other things to look at? ill be doing t belts soon and oil change. p.s. tranny shifts fine , just lack of power at top end and rough idle at rest. thanx

Timing. Check your timing, with the two green connectors connected. Under the steering column, behind the plastic

Connect them and then start the car. And check your timing. I don't know if it is carb'd or fuel injected. Carbed is 8'BTDC adn injected is 20'. Someone correct me if I am wrong. When you are done timing, disconnect the connectors.

The two black connectors down there are for reading trouble codes. If you want, you could connect those(with the green ones disconnected) and there will be a green LED flashing. It flashes long then short. Long flashes are 10s and shorts are 1s. For example LONG LONG LONG SHORT SHORT SHORT equals 32, with is an O2 Sensor problem.

Oh yeah, if you knew this, just call me dumb.

P.S. yeah check the fuel filter...I've had cars not start solely on that reason.

cant call ya dumb dude cause 1 i didnt know and will look into that and 2 nooobs arent to be calling anyone else dumb around here. i being a nooob will take advice kindly and graceously. now really thanx ill check this weeknd. let yall know

Timing. Check your timing, with the two green connectors connected. Under the steering column, behind the plastic

Connect them and then start the car. And check your timing. I don't know if it is carb'd or fuel injected. Carbed is 8'BTDC adn injected is 20'. Someone correct me if I am wrong. When you are done timing, disconnect the connectors.

The two black connectors down there are for reading trouble codes. If you want, you could connect those(with the green ones disconnected) and there will be a green LED flashing. It flashes long then short. Long flashes are 10s and shorts are 1s. For example LONG LONG LONG SHORT SHORT SHORT equals 32, with is an O2 Sensor problem.

Oh yeah, if you knew this, just call me dumb.

P.S. yeah check the fuel filter...I've had cars not start solely on that reason.

ill change the o2 regardless and whers the fuel filter on these if you know by chance. thanx

sounds like an O2 sensor, maybe fuel filter - have you tried to run any fuel injector cleaner through it?? that may help - changing the O2 sensor can be a real PITA, but the sensor is cheap (bosh one-wire universal - usually ~$15)

good luck

If you have the time, do a tune up. Cap, Rotor, Plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, check timing things like that. The fuel filter...is your car a carb or fuel injected? Fuel Injected is in the engine bay(i know this) on the driver's side against the fire wall. Do carb'd EA82's have two filter? The one in the engine bay and the one in front of the passenger rear tire, next to the fuel pump.

-Justin.