Ultimate Subaru Message Board

good mechanic North of Detroit?

Recently moved to Rochester, MI. Took my 2000 OLW to Troy Subaru dealer for 90k tune, and he took me for $1000! Car works better than ever, but there has to be a cheaper way (time for timing belt change, I don't even want to know how much that will cost).

Anyone have a favorite shop North of the motor city? How tough is the timing belt replacement?

Om Shanti.

Bapu

In Troy that would be Suburban right? Even their parts are too pricey. If you need parts, go to Hodges on Woodward in Ferndale.

As far as service, I can't help you ...I'm looking for a top-notch Sube-qualified mechanic myself. If you find someone, pass them my way.

**** ******!

I had several good experiences with Williams Subaru in Lansing MI. A bit of a drive for you, but I trust them. They are also a dealer. I had bad experiences with the independent subaru repair place near MSU. Don't go there. I'm sure there are some good Subie places near A2. You could try PMing TomRHere and asking him for shop recommendations, too.

take a vacation to traverse city and pay a visit to the Subaru Guys, a father and son operation that do nothing but subarus, read my post here about my recent experience with my 105k timing belt replacement, 570 bucks with all the seals drive belts and water pump, plus they looked over several other question areas, like the brakes and some noises, and gave me their diagnosis at no extra charge.

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid Greg offered me a head gasket job I didn't need :( + timing belt + water pump + assorted pulleys/tensioners for ~$2100. I ended up going to a local shop in Rochester. They did the timing belt for ~$800 including the water pump and a few of the pulleys/tensioners. I wish Hodges would have worked out.:-\

Go down to Hodges Subaru in Ferndale, worth the drive, tell Greg or Ben that Noah sent you, and they'll treat you right.

My '03 OBW's 30K tune is coming up in a few months, and I'm probably going to have it done by the Ann Arbor dealer (Dunning) I had a coworker who had her '94? legacy wagon tuned there and she seemed to have had a good experience with a reasonable price tag. (then again it has the smaller 2.2L) Will post back when I get the work done. I've only been there for an alignment, but they did fix a instrument cluster light for free at the same time.

I think I might take a drive over to AA for my next major tune. I can go local for pure mechanical, but my local shop doesn't have the ability to read the computer fully (in case my check engine comes on again).

My '03 OBW's 30K tune is coming up in a few months, and I'm probably going to have it done by the Ann Arbor dealer (Dunning)

my local shop doesn't have the ability to read the computer fully (in case my check engine comes on again).
advanced auto parts, autozone and other parts stores will read your codes for free. right down the exact code and details it spits out. sometimes the guy might say "oh it's a vacuum line or gas cap". while he might be right, better to write down the exact code then have him tell you the wrong thing to replace and then you're left scratching your head.

while he might be right, better to write down the exact code then have him tell you the wrong thing to replace and then you're left scratching your head.

Last time my check engine light was on, it was misdiagnosed for about 1-1/2 years by various shops until I took it to Suburban Subaru in Troy, MI (the most expensive knock sensor in history at $900).