Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Exhaust Question

Im up to making the exhaust on my dual port EA81. I made the head pipe equal lengths 30" to a collector with 1 7/8 ID pipe. Started it for a few seconds just to wake my neighbor up. icon7.gif It would save me time if I could just use the factory intermediate pipe but does anyone know the diameter off hand? I guess the best diameter for performance is 1 7/8 ID?? I will have to get updates pictures posted tonight of my progress. Thanks

I don't think equal lengths on these engines really do much for performance but it should flow well with 1 7/8" tubing. I don't know about the ea81 but the ea82 doesn't even have equal length exhaust ports and they are siamesed anyway. It all really depends on your cam and compression ratio. If you are running all stock, a smaller ID would probably be better to keep the heat and velocity in the header and a narrow collector, maybe 2", to help with scavenging pulses.

Post a pic man!

I just read up on the heads you are talking about. Those sound like the ticket! What cam are you using?

Got it running tonight,House has the beautiful smell of fresh engine braking in.Good oil psi,lifters quieted right up and cooling fan cycles,what more could a guy ask for.Not sure about the cam but ram engines gave me one that is set up to use with the higher compression and dual port heads.I built everything to their specs since they know these engines better than anyone.

tomorrow its time to gut the interior including the whole dash to repair a rusted out windshield frame (the only rust on the brat) and cut the roof off so I can install a T-Top roof.

Do you mean dualport as in the SUB4 or RAM engines EA81 dual port http://ramengines.com/db4/00320/ramengines.com/_uimages/intakeheads.JPG

Or do you mean the original (rally engine) dual port EA81 (one inlet, one outlet with a divider in it)?

Or maybe one of the EA81 Turbo's? I get so confused around EA81's these days. Too many different things on different models and years...

I have the second. It uses 1" and 3/4" pipe out of the heads and 2" pipe all the way to the back. But I am guessing you have the RAM EA81 heads which are just REALLY SWEET. On a stock EA81 I think the best size was two and a half inch. Bigger the better, if you don't mind that rumble :D

Engine is Done and running... Block Decked ,dowel pins added,Bored .030" over,high comp pistons.Heads ram dual ported,shaved,stiffer springs,Higher lift camshaft,Custom intake and weber Dgas carb.

Brat lifted 4/3 inch... Done

Converted from Automatic to stick...Done

Converted from manual Steering to power... Done

Hubs converted to 6 lug... Done

Converted from hard top to fun top,body and paint,Not Done.

I think Im just going to make the rest of the exhaust.Will run it down the right side of prop shaft,cross over in front of the fuel tank and exit at the stock position with a muffler.Or maybe just go thru a cherry bomb and exit in front of the right rear tire,What do you think?

shawn what kind of horse power did ron tell ya to expect????

ps if ya dont mind how much did the parts and the block work cost ya??

140 hp Very expensive to do one of these but I love the look of the old ea81,starting to look antique-ish. Around $5000 complete and thats with me doing all the assembly.You can by an identical long block from Ram for I think $6995 and you have to pay shipping and still need a carb.

Phizinza,

here the best pict of heads i got

Yeah, I should of got some pics of my heads when they were off, seems in the year I've owned them I've taken the left one off 3 times and the right off once you would expect I would of remembered to take photos. Not to worry. I'm sure the exhaust studs will fail again and I will need to take them off again! :banghead:

NICE SETUP!!!! wow, I can only dream (and have been dreaming for months) of that setup... I WANT! lol. Just seeing a setup like that in person would do for me, pitty no one here has one :( maybe I should get into planes...

As for the exhuast out the side looks better, but you have less ground clearance next to the tyre. shouldn't really be a problem I would think. How about out behind the front tyre? hehe