Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did ea81t ever come without A/C??

Ross

I wanted to leave the compressor off on this engine. A/C hasn't worked since i had the thing - no refrigerant in it, dont know why - so the compressor is probably worthless by now. Problem is that there is no bracket for the alternator without the ac compressor.

Cant put a bracket from an N/A engine on, as they use the same mounting points as the power steering pump, and the pulley offset is wrong.

So did the ea81t ever come out with no AC, and if so, what does the alternator bracket look like?

cheers.

I would see if an EA82 non-ac model's bracket would fit - the belt system on the EA81T is similar to the EA82 - you may even be able to machine the braket to fit

Actually, your A/C compressor is probably good if it hasn't seized and wasn't left with the in/out ports exposed (IE the system was still closed) - you probably could just recharge it and add a little compressor oil - I think the compressor also looks like the standard Hitachi compressor on a number of EA82 cars in the US, so if you want A/C, and your compressor is bad you could probably salvage a compressor off one

your decision

So did the ea81t ever come out with no AC, and if so, what does the alternator bracket look like?

cheers.

Yes.It is 2 piece w/a slotted L bracket mounted on the head for belt adjustment.The inboard pivot bracket mounts to the block w/2 bolts just above the inboard side of the water pump.

Yes, like in the last post, they were avalible without AC, but since they were the top of the line model, I think most of them came loaded to the gills with options. Superrallyroo's old T wagon didn't have AC or power steering so you might ask him if he has any pics of his old setup.

Superrallyroo's old T wagon didn't have AC or power steering so you might ask him if he has any pics of his old setup.

I really need to see one without ac, but with ps - i think i could make a standard bracket from an N/A engine fit (with a little modification), but it would mean i couldn't mount the ps pump.

The fsm shows an engine with ps but no ac i think.

Yes you can fit the standard alternator mount but it also involves using the standard N/A harmonic balancer and water pump, l know this for fact because mine is set up this way. If you want to run power steering you could use the standard double, (not the turbo type), harmonic balancer and you should be able to connect your power steering belt to the outer track. If you list your e-mail address l will post you photo's of my set-up.

Pics would be great - I'm probably gonna make my own mount, but anything helps. You can email me if you click on my name up there..

Found a pic of the bracket i need in the fsm, although that setup requires an alternator with a double pulley so that it tensions both - mine only has a single pulley, as the other belt had a seperate tensioner.

Pics would be great - I'm probably gonna make my own mount, but anything helps. You can email me if you click on my name up there..

Found a pic of the bracket i need in the fsm, although that setup requires an alternator with a double pulley so that it tensions both - mine only has a single pulley, as the other belt had a seperate tensioner.

Couldn`t you just run a single belt? There is a good pic of the brackets on page 140 of the ea-81 parts manual here:http://ww2.finleyweb.net:9394/default.asp?id=142Try the part#s,they might still be good.

On a related note,the same book shows that hydro lifter rocker arms are different than solid lifter rocker arms(not just the whole rocker assy.).

BTW,83 and 84 turbo alternators have different Subaru part#s.

I think all 83 turbos had AC while it was optional in 84.

Alternately,perhaps you could add the N/A PS pump along w/the N/A bracket,waterpump and pulley like redskin.Might fit.

Couldn`t you just run a single belt?

BTW,83 and 84 turbo alternators have different Subaru part#s.

I think all 83 turbos had AC while it was optional in 84.

Alternately,perhaps you could add the N/A PS pump along w/the N/A bracket,waterpump and pulley like redskin.Might fit.

Yeah, i suppose a single belt would do fine since there would be no ac comp to drive.

I'd say the only difference between the '83 and '84 alts would be that the '84 has twin pulleys.

I'd rather keep the turbo water pump, simply cos its almost brand new!

Is the N/A ps pump bracket different to the turbo one? Doesn't seem to be a pic in the fsm excert i have.....

Yeah, i suppose a single belt would do fine since there would be no ac comp to drive.

I'd say the only difference between the '83 and '84 alts would be that the '84 has twin pulleys.

I'd rather keep the turbo water pump, simply cos its almost brand new!

Is the N/A ps pump bracket different to the turbo one? Doesn't seem to be a pic in the fsm excert i have.....

Yes,the entire pump is different.