Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to look for when buying a 2000 Legacy GT sedan

I found a nice 2000 Leg. Gt 5 speed with a new clutch 138,000 miles. That I'm really considering buying. I know there's a couple things I should be looking for. It was bought at auction in CT. One owner and no maintenance records. What other then the head and timing belt should I be looking for? I ran a vin check and nothing came up. Any help would be great.

I found a nice 2000 Leg. Gt 5 speed with a new clutch 138,000 miles. That I'm really considering buying. I know there's a couple things I should be looking for. It was bought at auction in CT. One owner and no maintenance records. What other then the head and timing belt should I be looking for? I ran a vin check and nothing came up. Any help would be great.

Only other thing is clutch jutter, but with this mileage might need it replaced anyway.

Only other thing is clutch jutter, but with this mileage might need it replaced anyway.

I wouldn't buy a used car anywhere with out a good carfax since Katrina.

There's gonna be a wholelotta 'cleande up' flood cars turn up at auctions all over the country.

Well, I have a 2000GT Wagon automatic and have had two replacement transmissions as of 78K miles. Your's is manual so no matter. My head gasket was replaced under extended good will HG warranty (8yr/1000k). The grommets around the spark plugs seem to need to be replaced after you see oil in the spark plug well. Point out the oil and demand the car for free with such a problem. There are a variety of recalls on this car and if you go to a subaru dealer, or contact SOA with the VIN, they might be able to tell you if, when and where the recalls were serviced. This might allay fears of "rollin' on a river".

I like the way the car handles though occasionally loose change falls out of my pocket when driving.

I wouldn't buy a used car anywhere with out a good carfax since Katrina.

There's gonna be a wholelotta 'cleande up' flood cars turn up at auctions all over the country.

Ok I went and saw the title. It's from Ct. So I think I can rule out Katrina damage. I did run a vin check with Consumer Guide it came back clean. I got a 60 day membership so if anybody wants me to run a check for them pm me. I will look into checking up on it with the dealership. I didn't even think of that. Thanks guys!

Send me the last 8 of the vin. Any idea what auction it went through? Was it a Manheim?

Ok I went and saw the title. It's from Ct. So I think I can rule out Katrina damage. I did run a vin check with Consumer Guide it came back clean. I got a 60 day membership so if anybody wants me to run a check for them pm me. I will look into checking up on it with the dealership. I didn't even think of that. Thanks guys!

This means nothing, many people wash titles, this means they register cars in states that do not keep track of where they came from. Carfax is the best way to check.

This means nothing, many people wash titles, this means they register cars in states that do not keep track of where they came from. Carfax is the best way to check.

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAA! You said Carfax and best in the same sentence!!! BLAHHHHHH HAHHHHAAA HAAAA HAAA. Best is to have it run by USDot. Carfax isn't bad esp with newer cars but definately not good once you get to the older stuff.

Again gents, if you check with SOA or any Subaru dealer, they can check the VIN for open recall notices etc. SOA should be able to tell you where the recalls were performed. There was a rustproofing recall, a power steering recall, the infamous stop leak head gasket recall. Check the NHTSA site for recall (and TSB) notices. It is likely that if the recalls were performed at local CT. shops that the car wasn't then driven south to participate in the New Orleans "summer games" and then "shipped" (pun intended) back.