Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there,

I own a 97 LGT, while trying to take the cam sprockets off, to change the lifter shims, I broke the right side intake sprocket! I didn't have the special tool that wedges in between the two spockets to hold them. I had a wrench on the camshaft itself, but it would start to slip off. So I took a screwdriver and wrapped it with duct tape and wedged it in there so it would act like the tool and wedge the two, helping to hold it. I had the wrench on the camshaft, and while trying to get the bolt to break loose, the cam gear broke!

The dealer wants $102.00. Does anyone have a sprocket off a junk motor? I also need the rear timing belt cover for the same side, the one that bolts to the block.

Does anyone know where I can get one used, or new at a better price than the dealer. I checked all subaru auto parts online, but no luck.

Please help!! My Name is Garris 509-312-9599, and I live in Thorp WA 98946

Check with Litha Subaru there in Oregon # is 866-717-2512. Or check with Campbell Nelson used Subaru parts # is 1-888-337-7757 they are in Arlington Wa. Zip is 98223 I dont know if this is D.C. or State, as much as I have bought from them I should know but I don't. both places have been good to me for years.

Hi there,

I own a 97 LGT, while trying to take the cam sprockets off, to change the lifter shims, I broke the right side intake sprocket! I didn't have the special tool that wedges in between the two spockets to hold them. I had a wrench on the camshaft itself, but it would start to slip off. So I took a screwdriver and wrapped it with duct tape and wedged it in there so it would act like the tool and wedge the two, helping to hold it. I had the wrench on the camshaft, and while trying to get the bolt to break loose, the cam gear broke!

The dealer wants $102.00. Does anyone have a sprocket off a junk motor? I also need the rear timing belt cover for the same side, the one that bolts to the block.

Does anyone know where I can get one used, or new at a better price than the dealer. I checked all subaru auto parts online, but no luck.

Please help!! My Name is Garris 509-312-9599, and I live in Thorp WA 98946

Check with Litha Subaru there in Oregon # is 866-717-2512. Or check with Campbell Nelson used Subaru parts # is 1-888-337-7757 they are in Arlington Wa. Zip is 98223 I dont know if this is D.C. or State, as much as I have bought from them I should know but I don't. both places have been good to me for years.

Thanks for the info, I'll call tomorrow and see how much they can beat the dealer! You know what they say, "Lessons bought are better than Lessons taught".

This is my first subaru and find it a pleasure to work on for the most part. The car has 105,000 miles on it, and don't know any of the service history. I thought it would be a good idea to change the timing belt, adjust the valves, and fix the leaking oil seperator plate. That was the reason I got the car, because it leaked oil on the exhaust and a shop wanted $800.00 to pull the motor and fix the leak. The previous owner didn't want to spend the money, so I bought it from him for $4000.00

Thanks again - Anybody else have any leads on some cheap parts that i'm looking for?

i'd call around yards and ask, they may have one with a bad block they're willing to take parts off of.

also the pull it yourself yards around here have zillions of EJ22's all over the place, never see any old subaru's. they'd be like 5 bucks there, i'd check a local pull it yourself yard. i've gone to pick up alternators, a/c compressors, ignitor coils, etc, they always have EJ stuff.