Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air Flow Sensor

... and a 1.8L engine is, as far as engines go, tiny. :D What's the problem?

I don't think the stock airflow sensor is a major restriction in the intake. Also, if there is a larger airflow meter, it probably needs a different ECU to match with it - I don't know for sure if the EA82T AFM is larger, but if it is, you'd need the turbo ECU as well.

-=Russ=-

someone tried installing a larger MAF on an XT6 and it did not like it at all. i believe he is right about the ECU. it is very simplistic i would guess in terms of air flow. ideally the sensor would send information "this is how much air you're getting", but after those failed tests which i helped out with some i believe the ECU gets info from the sensor and internally calculates "how much air i'm getting" based on a predetermined cross sectional area of the MAF sensor. increasing the MAF sensor will effectively make any calculation the ECu makes incorrect since it still uses the "old" size.

just a guess, but it didn't work that's for sure.

BUT - i say try it, it may have only been an issue with the particular MAF he was attempting to use. they are cheap and easy enough to work with, give it a try and let us know!

In the volvo turbo world we do larger amm and larger injectors. If the two are balanced the ecu doesn't know the difference in open loop mode and in closed loop it's mosty dependant on the o2 sensor. My volvo I went from a 2.5" to a 3" AMM, about a 40% area increase, and from 38#/hr to 58#/hr injectors 32% increase in flow but with a little additional fuel pressure it's about balanced. With this I'm good to 18lbs boost. Would this work with Subarus? Its a nice way to run more boost and have it still get metered some what efficiently.

Thanks

Renny

In the volvo turbo world we do larger amm and larger injectors. If the two are balanced the ecu doesn't know the difference in open loop mode and in closed loop it's mosty dependant on the o2 sensor. My volvo I went from a 2.5" to a 3" AMM, about a 40% area increase, and from 38#/hr to 58#/hr injectors 32% increase in flow but with a little additional fuel pressure it's about balanced. With this I'm good to 18lbs boost. Would this work with Subarus? Its a nice way to run more boost and have it still get metered some what efficiently.

Thanks

Renny

In the VW GTI 1.8T world. People are doing similar modifications. Larger MAF housing from a VR6 with the 1.8T sensor. Larger 380cc injectors instead of the 316cc. Together can fuel a larger turbo upgrade as long as the boost does not go out of spec. But to fix that they put a diode on the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor to limit the boost the ECU 'sees'. The engine then relies up on the closed loop fueling map (referencing the O2 sensor).

For Subarus, I am not sure if it will work. I don't see why it won't work, though.