Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First of all, Hi to everyone.....

I've just recently bought a 1990 4WD LEGACY WAGON. there were a few problems with initially. It was in Limp mode....and after checking the ECU codes i found oout it had IAC valve error and Knock Sensor error. Both Have been fixed and i don't get any error codes anymore. But however,

i've still got afew more problems which i'm not too familiar with as the previouis legacy I has was a 2WD.

1) While turning sharp corners there seems to resistance in the tyres...so i had my wife do some corners and stood around and had a look...it seems the rear wheels are slipping as hell when trying to turn.

2) The engine lacks power..(or that's what i think) when moving from a stop the car accelerates very slowly...as if it's trying to move in 3rd gear.

3)The speedometer doesn't work...I tried taking the cable out form the transmission end and rotating it using a drill and it turns fine and the needle moves according to the speed.....what i would like to know is if it's easy to change the gear in the tranny that turns the cable or does the tranny have to be dismantled.

Thanking for the help in advance

The speedometer, you should be getting a check engine light for that. The base piece that screws into the transmission typically breaks. Remove it, jack the car up and look down into the hole and see if the piece rotates when the car is in drive and the wheels move. If it does, replace the base piece, and be on your way. Here's a pic & part #

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/speedocablebase.jpg

I'd honestly start by fixing the speedo as other issues including the torque bind can be caused by not having the speedo.

As for the tranny, you have torque bind. Do a search and you'll find lots of info. Fix the speedo, and then try these steps. First thing to do is make sure all four tires are the same brand and have similar wear, also check tire pressure. You can do some testing, insert a fuse in the FWD fuse holder to check and see whether the duty c solenoid is working.

I'd also recommend changing the tranny fluid. That may help. If not, you could add a LSD clutch type additive.

Not sure about the power issue without more specific info.

Torque bind:

Install the FWD fuse and see if it goes away. If it does it tells you the duty C solenoid coil is good.

Check the tires and make sure all 4 match and have the same tire pressure.

Flush the tranny fluid then drive in circles a few times. This will circulate the new fluid and losen up any gum. If this doesnt clear it up, then the clutch pack/bearings/Duty C Valve has been damaged and needs to be replaced.

The drive gear for the spedo in most transmissions are easy to replace. Just follow the cable and the removal of the gear should be obvious, as it is usually a bolt or two.

Have you tried manually shifting the car to see if the car is actually starting in third? When you rev the car in neutral does it freely rev up or lag. Is there a brake dragging? I'm thinkng maybe you have a cloged cat converter, or a collapsed exhaust system that is restricting exhaust flow. If the car runs well otherwise, this is where i would look. Depeneding upon how much your neighbors like you, a quick (and very noisey) test is to disconnect the exhaust system and see if it makes a differnce. I think anything else would have triped some codes in the puter.

nipper

I tried with the FWD fuse in ...no more torque bind....i guess it might be the tyres as the front wheel alignment seems to be a bit off as well...so i'll get that sorted first and go from there.....

as for the speedo...i'll check that out tonight and see if it rotates....

I was also more inclined towards the cat converter to be the cause of lack of power....I did a test drive last night and noticed the power only kicks in after around 2200rpm.....as long as the revs are above that the car drives like a baby.....

How do i know if my car has a 4EAT tranny?

Could there be any link between these problems???

Fix the spedo as i dont know if it ties into any of these problems. For now drive with the FWD fuse in to stop from causing further damage untill the tires are squared away, then do a tranny flush with the fuse out. Tranny flush may help the acceleration issue too.

Cat converter would be the reverse problem. You would loose power as rpms went up, until the car wouldnt pick up speed anymore.

Fix the spedo.

Try shifting the car manually and see if there is a differnce.

ALso these cars were not known for being all that quick off the line, so it may be normal, i dont know, i cant tell without driving the car.

nipper

I was also more inclined towards the cat converter to be the cause of lack of power....I did a test drive last night and noticed the power only kicks in after around 2200rpm.....as long as the revs are above that the car drives like a baby.....

What kind of car are you used to? Depending on how little power it has below 2200rpms, it might be normal. The power band on these is pretty much between 2500 and 4000rpms. I've heard of people used to big old V-8's having trouble, because they've learned to not rev them above 2500.

I had a toyota celica before and believe me those things have very high revving engines....it's definitely got a problem with take off cos it just moves slowly when the lights turn green and intersections and that's quite embarassing.....last week i had an old lady in a mazda 121 show her finger to me cos my car wwouldn't move quick enough during the the green light...LOL

ok here is a wild shot in the dark... check the knock sensor. Physical inspect it, if there is any damage replace it.

The only thing i can think of is a timing issue, and the knock sensor, which has given lots of troubles in the past, can do all sorts of wonderful things to the timing.

nipper

Last night I was trying to check the speedometer as Legacy777 suggested....i put the car up on axle stands with the FWD fuse in....and when i put it in D the wheels didn't move....so i stepped on the accelarator a bit and it just budged slightly....i didn't step on it too much as I assumed that cud do more hard than gud...but shouldn;t it start turning as soon as it's put in Drive without putting ur foot on the accelerator.....

BTW Legacy777, i visited ur website yesterday......mate that's an awesome job u'v done on swapping ur 2WD auto to a 4WD manual....

Just want to add this bit of info. Not having the speedometer working will cause ALL sorts of weird problems. The car will not shift right, the AWD will not work properly, the engine coolant fans will be on all the time, as well as other odities. You MUST fix the speedometer before trying to diagnose any of the other issues.

Maybe I wasn't too clear. Since you have an AWD vehicle, jack up the car so all four wheels are off the ground. Remove the speedometer cable from the base piece I show in the pic posted. Turn on the car, put it in drive, and the wheels should turn. While this is happening, look down at the speedometer base piece screwed into the front differential. Do you see anything spinning inside that thing? If not, remove the base piece, rubber and metal washer if they're still stuck in the hole. With that removed, now look down in that hole and see if you see the gear spinning. If you do, replace the base piece with a new one, reconnect the speedo, reset the ECU, and be on your merry way.

if the gear inside the transmission does not move, things become more difficult. To replace that gear the front differential has to be removed from the transmission, which means the whole transmission needs to be removed.

Thanks for the compliments on the swap. I actually just swapped in a turbo motor this past summer. I haven't had a chance to put it on the site yet. Here's all the pics if you care to look

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ej22t/

I'm also planning on converting my auto to a manual later on....that is if I can get it running first....as I've always driven a manual....and manuals rock.....it probably won't be as comprehensive as yours as it 's already a 4WD.,...

anyways i'll do what u said tonight and see how it goes....

Checked out the speedometer gear in the weekend and no it's not turning in Drive.....I've already taken out the bolted on bit which is sort of like a converter from a square to a flathead that goes into thee slot on the tranny...Do I need to take the tranny out to fix this???

If I do need to take the tranny out I'm thinking i'd rather convert it to a manual at the same time. Legacy777 can u please advise what are all the things I'd need for conversion please....keeping in mind it's already a 4WD....

much appreciated guys......

NO that is usually held in with a clamp and one bolt. Remove those, use a little elbow grease, and it should come out.

I havent seen the Subaru ones, but thats how it usually works. Also get a new spedo cable and housing (housing may be pricey so snag it from a junky). i suspect your cabel may have had something to do with the failure.

nipper

You need to pull the tranny to replae the gear? Out of curiosty are we talking about the drive gear (in the tranny) or the driven gear (drives the spedo cable).

Out of curiosity would the sme be true for a failed speed sensor?

(just trying to learn here :) )

nipper

as far as I've learnt is that there's a speed sensor #1 located in the instrument cluster that the speedo cable drives....so in case of a speedo cable failure the TCU should flash code 33 which is for the speed sensor #1.....

The speed sensor in the combination meter (instrument cluster) is actually speed sensor #2. Speed sensor #1 is located in the rear tail housing of the transmission.

This is only on the cars equipped with mechanical speedos.

For the cars equipped with electronic speedos, the 2nd speed sensor is on the transmission/front differential I believe.

hi guys....I've started pulling the tranny out....and on the look out for a donor car where I can snag a manual tranny from.....currently I'm working on my wifes Pajero 4WD....one of the drive belts broke and got tangled around the crankshaft pulley and stripped the pulley from the crankshaft sprocket....it's a 3.5L V6 and a PITA....

However...I'll keep you posted on the swap...