Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 2 - 91 legacy turbos, that we ralley. Mostly TSD's. I recently found that both of them have no AWD. I cannot figure out why? We of course did the basic checks, jacked up the car and checked the wheel spin. All the wheels spin a little, one front fast the rest very slow and easy to stop. Any ideas. I have a winter ralley comeing soon and need the AWD if possible. thanks

Well, if it's an auto, there could be duty solenoid c/clutch pack problems. if it's a 5mt, the viscous coupling could be fried. One way to find out is the do some tight corners in a parking lot and stomp on it. If the AWD isn't working, you'll know. Although I guess you already do.

Subaru awd tends to be kind of voodoo magic sort of stuff that is only completely understood by engineers deep in a laboratory in Japan. When things stop working they tend to just be replaced. It'd probably be cheapest and easiest to find a used transmission somewhere. If it's a manual you have a lot more choices.

I don't think Subaru AWD systems are voodoo magic at all. They are pretty straight forward.

Here's what I'd like you to do. Take the cars out in the snow or gravel, or where ever there is a slippery surface. Put the gear selector in the "1" position. Floor it, and have someone stand outside and watch the rear of the car. See if the rear wheels move. The reason I say to put the gear selector in the "1" position is because the TCU will up the torque split to near 50/50.

Also, the 91 turbos came with a rear viscous LSD. So...both rear wheels "should" spin.

I don't think Subaru AWD systems are voodoo magic at all. They are pretty straight forward.

Here's what I'd like you to do. Take the cars out in the snow or gravel, or where ever there is a slippery surface. Put the gear selector in the "1" position. Floor it, and have someone stand outside and watch the rear of the car. See if the rear wheels move. The reason I say to put the gear selector in the "1" position is because the TCU will up the torque split to near 50/50.

Also, the 91 turbos came with a rear viscous LSD. So...both rear wheels "should" spin.

the "1" posistion doesn't lock a 50/50 split exactly... it might be a better split like 55/45 or something like that.. but in my testing of the 4EAT and my all mightly 4wd switch, the '1' position does a whole lot of nothing except keep the tranny from shifting into 2nd.

the "1" posistion doesn't lock a 50/50 split exactly... it might be a better split like 55/45 or something like that.. but in my testing of the 4EAT and my all mightly 4wd switch, the '1' position does a whole lot of nothing except keep the tranny from shifting into 2nd.

It does alter the AWD transfer...and yeah I would agree 55/45 is probably a more realistic number.....

Yes I had it fixed in 1rst. And tried with and without the manual on. Thanks for the update on what the manual does. But I tried it without the manual and locked in 1rst

Well I guess you could try changing the fluid, but I don't think that's going to help.

Only other suggestion I can give is to try disconnecting the wire that goes to the duty c solenoid. That way the rear drive portion would get full line pressure and essentually be 50/50 split.

Would that wire be the one on the left hand (passenger) side of the tranny near the rear housing that leads to a rounded end? I happened to notice this earlier today. I've been having intermittent solenoid problems. Perhaps it may be a lousy connection.

Well I guess you could try changing the fluid, but I don't think that's going to help.

Only other suggestion I can give is to try disconnecting the wire that goes to the duty c solenoid. That way the rear drive portion would get full line pressure and essentually be 50/50 split.

• 2 weeks later...