Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing water pump on 95 legacy wagon

Having read the chiltons manual on replacing the water pump on this year car, I am left wondering what is it not telling me? It says to drop the oil pan, is this necessary? Also, about the timing belt- it was replaced at 90,000 miles, the car currently has 112,000miles I am not planning on replacing the belt, but do I have to be careful on leaving it in its current position? What else should I be looking for/ or replacing when I am in there? I don't want to spend a fortune replacing parts, but I do understand preventative maintenance. Any advice would be much appreciated.

J

Having read the chiltons manual on replacing the water pump on this year car, I am left wondering what is it not telling me? It says to drop the oil pan, is this necessary? Also, about the timing belt- it was replaced at 90,000 miles, the car currently has 112,000miles I am not planning on replacing the belt, but do I have to be careful on leaving it in its current position? What else should I be looking for/ or replacing when I am in there? I don't want to spend a fortune replacing parts, but I do understand preventative maintenance. Any advice would be much appreciated.

J

I wouldn't follow 3rd party books that aren't made by Subaru! trust me mate.

Anyway no you don't... Oil pan stays there - all you need is to remove timing belt cover, and so on... if you're doing water pump job, its a good idea to change the timing belt at the same time doing water pump - that way you know its same age. Timing belt is required doing anyway, if you changed the pump and the timing needs replacing down the track - you're wasting your time so best to change it over at the same time.

Cheers

AP

Cam and crank seals along with the oil pump oring are also a good idea at that mileage. Is the water pump leaking? There is no need to change the pump unless something is wrong with it or you are in there and it has 100K on it.

If the pump is still working and you watch for coolant level and your temp gauge you will see the failure before it has any - effect.

Yes, the water pump is leaking. The timing belt was replaced at 90,000, currently the car has 112,000 on it. I was planning on leaving the belt. Also, how much do the other parts cost. Where should I purchase them? We have a auto parts and auto center, are these places reliable for purchasing those other seals?

Yes, the water pump is leaking. The timing belt was replaced at 90,000, currently the car has 112,000 on it. I was planning on leaving the belt. Also, how much do the other parts cost. Where should I purchase them? We have a auto parts and auto center, are these places reliable for purchasing those other seals?

I would not use anything but oem for seals, water pumps, etc.

Because of all the labor involved in doing this you want to be sure you have the best parts in there, so you do not have to do the work again.

I cheaped out long ago and used some cheap auto store parts, the water pump started leaking after 5,000 miles and I had to replace it. Of course the store gave me a new one but this did not help my hours of labor to replace it.

No need to pull oil pan for a water pump change.:)

And I agree that OEM seals are the best choice. I hate the idea of paying a lot more for these parts. But I hate the idea of going back in to replace stuff again even more.

My factory water pump died around 90,000 miles. Whatever pump the repair shop put in gave out at 135,000 miles - and it has cost me my headgasket.:banghead:

Replaced the pump with ease, didn't have a crankshaft wrench, but found a way around it. Seems to have taken care of the coolant leak thus far. Hopefully, the pump lasts and the gasket forms a good seal. I think the gasket on the last pump leaked, it seemed as though the last dealership didn't clean the connecting surface, there was some definite corrosion/rough surface. I guess time will tell.