Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Chunky steering when it's cold....

Well, a ways back when i messed up my steering yoke it felt the same way.. but now w/ this new one in, it feels exactly the same when it's cold out.. especially when it's rained/iced... There's ALOT of resistance around 12-20deg from centered (on the steering wheel that is). I'm going to try to nail the steering yoke w/ some PB Blaster and see if that helps.... i really don't feel like replacing that thing in the cold... again...

i assumed he meant the universal joint in the steering shaft, but that would happen in all conditions if it was that.

GM had a HUGE problem with steering racks that would bind in cold weather untill the PS fluid warmed up the internal of the racks. What is happening is that the seals inside the rack are shrinking or are brittle in cold weather. This is allowing the PS fluid to leak pass the seals, and esentially, you have manual steering. Once the seals warm up and become pliable, you have full boost.

i bet the binding feels the same as if you were trying to turn the wheel with the car off.

nipper

1) Steering Yoke = Universal joints from steering column to rack.

2) It ONLY does it when it's warm

3) It feels the same as it did when i had a busted bearing in the yoke last summer (Large rock lodged itself in there & messed up stuff)

I've got a 2nd rack back at home... sounds like a crappy way to spend my long weekend coming up.. changing the rack AGAIN.. and getting it alligned... AGAIN...

hmmm

I tried cranking the wheel alot before i left the parking lot yesteday morning, and it seemed to help a little, but by the time i got to campus it was doing it again... the middle range of the steering is fine, but yet, when gets to that 'point' it feels like there's no power steering.

I suppose i could drop down the rack, and pop the yoke off and see if all the bearings are still intact... perhaps a little to muc offroading / driving in nasty ruts could have added to much stress to the universal joints.... maybe... There's a yoke hanging off the impreza at the junk yard i might go grab just in case.

ok with the car off, if its the yoke it will feel the same as the car on. If you got the last yoke from a junky, then i would suspect it. If you can bite the bullit, find out how much a new one is. The sterring yoke from a junky is like buying used brake pads.

Now originally you said it did it when it was cold :banghead: Which is it. Also if it is the yoke temperiture should have no affect on it, and if it did, it would be when it was cold.

another thing if the yoke is visable, have a freind watch the yoke as you turn the wheel, When you feel it bind, mark the yoke with chaulk. Now the wheel should bind at the same place everytime you see that chaulk mark on the yoke. If its the rack it will be constant all the way through the turning of the wheel.

nipper

I've got the original rack back home...

The problem w/ the old one was that one of the directions of motion was... very hard (when we took it out) so the universal joint was not happy...

i fired her up thismorning, and it was fine.. a nice 32 degrees out.. i'll try to bleed the rack again and see if that helps any...