Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 gl-10 questions

RTR

i found an 89 gl-10 wagon for sale that fits my price range, but it's about 50 miles away. the problem is the owner has no idea what they have other than it's a 5 speed. my question is what is the most common equipment on the gl-10 of this year? mostly 4wd, or mostly fwd? mostly turbo or non turbo? google searches have given me little information, and what i have gotten has been conflicting. basically, i'd like to know if there's a good chance that it's going to be optioned a certain way before i make the trek to look at it.

thanks for the info. if it is full time 4wd, i'm assuming it's not going to have the low range correct? will it still have a selection for a locked 50/50 split front/rear? thanks!

A FT4WD wagon will not have the low range, but it will have a diff lock, so you can lock it 50/50. Unless the badging has worn off, all of the full-time 4WD turbo cars I've seen have had that written all over them. Usually if the owner doesn't know if they have it, then they don't. But there are oblivious owners out there....good luck.

Getting a photo of the engine bay is a great idea. Also ask if there is a little switch by the shifter (diff lock switch)