Ultimate Subaru Message Board

automatic to 5 speed swap

talked to torxxx today..seems like we might be making an auto to manual swap. what i want to find out is just what bits and pieces we'll need and maybe a real life time frame for how long the whole process might take.

what i have:

1987 3 speed auto 4x4 wagon...bad transmission.

what do i need?

flywheel

starter?

rear diff

crossmember

???

what do i need?

flywheel YES

starter? NO

rear diff NO (unless your changing gear ratios)

crossmember YES (trans X-member)

???

plus:

pedal box

spedo and clutch cables

clutch kit

drive line

center consol

depending on the trans of choice vacuume solonoide for push button

-=Suberdave=-

Could you do us, me, a favor? Take a ton of pics because I plan on doing this in about a month, or do a discriptive message that's ease to follow. Later.

talked to torxxx today..seems like we might be making an auto to manual swap. what i want to find out is just what bits and pieces we'll need and maybe a real life time frame for how long the whole process might take.

what i have:

1987 3 speed auto 4x4 wagon...bad transmission.

what do i need?

flywheel

starter?

rear diff

crossmember

???

I did this in my RX since it had a 4EAT automatic in it. I was able to score a RX 5-speed tranny for it and here's the list of parts it took me to do it including some donor cars...

flywheel (has to be from a 4x4 EA82 car or an XT6 for better grip)

clutch (stock 4x4 EA82 clutch or a XT6 clutch to match the flywheel)

tranny of course

crossmember

driveline (can be from ANY 4x4 EA82 car ie wagon, sedan, coupe)

pedal bracket (can be from any manual EA82 car)

clutch cable (needs to be from any 4x4 EA82)

starter from a manual EA82

shifter linkage (from any manual 4x4 EA82)

center console (from any 4x4 EA82 in the color you need)

instrument cluster (from any 4x4 EA82)

speedo cable (from any 4x4 EA82)

and like suberdave said, the vacuum solenoids from any pushbutton or Full time (with diff lock) transmission.

I didn't change the starter or instrument cluster when I did my 92 Loyale. I later learned the starter is a different part number between manual and automatic, yet somehow my original one still worked fine. As for the gauge cluster, it's purely cosmetic. Car will drive fine with the original one still installed, and everything will read right.

I did this in my RX since it had a 4EAT automatic in it. I was able to score a RX 5-speed tranny for it and here's the list of parts it took me to do it including some donor cars...

flywheel (has to be from a 4x4 EA82 car or an XT6 for better grip)

clutch (stock 4x4 EA82 clutch or a XT6 clutch to match the flywheel)

tranny of course

crossmember

driveline (can be from ANY 4x4 EA82 car ie wagon, sedan, coupe)

pedal bracket (can be from any manual EA82 car)

clutch cable (needs to be from any 4x4 EA82)

starter from a manual EA82

shifter linkage (from any manual 4x4 EA82)

center console (from any 4x4 EA82 in the color you need)

instrument cluster (from any 4x4 EA82)

speedo cable (from any 4x4 EA82)

and like suberdave said, the vacuum solenoids from any pushbutton or Full time (with diff lock) transmission.

why the instrument cluster?

• 2 weeks later...

unless i'm not seeing this clearly due to cars in snow pile, flashlight..cold..etc.....while the only GLs that i've been able to look at with this swap in mind that have a 5 speed do have a cable attached to the transmission end of the clutch mechanism, that cable is being actuated by a master cylinder...? am i seeing this right? if so..it seems that the fluid for the clutch is coming from a common brake/clutch reservoir.. so the brake and clutch cylinders must also get swapped..?

unless i'm not seeing this clearly due to cars in snow pile, flashlight..cold..etc.....while the only GLs that i've been able to look at with this swap in mind that have a 5 speed do have a cable attached to the transmission end of the clutch mechanism, that cable is being actuated by a master cylinder...? am i seeing this right? if so..it seems that the fluid for the clutch is coming from a common brake/clutch reservoir.. so the brake and clutch cylinders must also get swapped..?

Thats is for the hill holder. You only need to replace the MC and lines if you intend to keep the Hill Holder.

Personally, when I did mine, I stayed with the stock MC, and just put a nice strong return spring on the clutch fork.