Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting XT Turbo to 5 lug, Elec P/S, Air Susp

this is all for a 1987.5 XT Turbo FT4WD

got most of the information i needed from here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20307&highlight=lug%2A

awesome, thanks guys!

do i need to use the XT6 control arms? looks like he mentioned "Lower Suspension Arm" for the front, but i don't see it in his pictures of the conversoin.

i have a few XT6 parts cars so i have all the parts i need. the XT Turbo has air suspension, i'm thinking i can use XT6 front air struts after the swap. can't imagine why it wouldn't work, anyone else?

i also want to swapp in the XT6 steering rack and using the XT6 cybrid electric power steering so i can remove the power steering pump from the motor. the 'puters/sensors might get hairy but i'll figure something out.

anything i'm missing?

the motor is coming out to and another going in it's place. but that's another story.

awesome thanks, none were in the pictures i saw so i was confused.

if the parts are off the XT6 and ready to rock and roll can i get this done in a day? rear looks really simple, front looks fairly straight forward.

forgot one question - will the XT6 axles work with a XT Turbo FT4WD trans? what about a PT4WD trans?

thanks!

There is some confusion on the subject of lower control (suspension) arms. On my RX I used the stock EA82 arms with no problem, others had to use that XT6 arms, it appears that the hole where the bolt goes through at the crossmember is larger on some arms then it is on others. To be on the safe side, use the XT6 arm, we know they have the correct size hole. I don't think the ball joint is different.

I'm not sure about the axle question, since I don't know the spline count on a XT6 axle, if it is 25 then it will work, if it is 23 then no it won't. Now that I think about it, I seem to remember that the XT6 has a 25 slpine count, so they will only work with a turbo tranny.

I'm glad to see that my pioneering efforts have created a lot of experts, I know there have been several versions of pieces put together to come up with a conversion. If you want to keep the front parking brake, all of these are pretty much a bolt on conversion. If you want to tackle a rear e-brake, that will require a little fabrication skills.

when i did mine i used the XT6 control arm. mainly do to the fact that the ball joint is larger on the XT6. and yes the XT6 has a 25 spline shaft, so it will work with any Turbo trany. or EJ converson.

P.S. you can use EJ front stuff with the XT6 lower arms (due to ball joint size) but then you will have to tackle the rear E-brake.

-=Suberdave=-

when you do the swap you can almost pull everything for each front side in one piece (lower control arm axle, hub, strut, etc).. back is way easy as it is. just curious why the air struts though? i have them on my new (old) GL-10 but i already know there gonna give me problems eventually.. but as long as there gonna work.. there neat!

rllywgn

usmblogo.jpg

curious why the air struts though?
why not? i like them and am familiar from the dozen or so XT6's i've owned. i have spare parts and keeping the sruts clean and rust free i've never had one fail. thanks guys. i'll use XT6 control arms that way it's the same as my XT6's.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon, i just picked up everything but the struts to do the XT-6 swap, gonna go with Forester struts as i'm assuming they're taller than the stock XT-6 parts. I'm gonna be needing to change the inner cups, but i don't think that will be too hard, MWE Axles should be able to do it.

It'll be nice to be able to stop with the swampers.