Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel tank stuff in lifted rigs...

scrap487

ok, after putting in my 6" lift, my fuel tank looks TINY... anyone ever try to put a bigger tank under there? or maybe make one? might need to beef up the rear suspension a little bit, but itd be way cool to have a subaru with a 30-50+ gallon gas tank... especially for those extended multi-day trail runs, beats having to carry gas cans around. it also be nice to know I can make it out of country on one tank of gas :brow:

I was either thinking of making a larger gas tank, or making a differant shaped one and make room to fit a spare tire under there. there really is QUITE a lot of room underneath the bottom of the subaru where you could stuff all kinds of stuff without having to worry bout angles and clearance.

then again, theres always the idea of stuffing some pontoons underneath there so I can go fording the bigger rivers n stuff :headbang:

I don't know what kind of trails you hit, but out here the rocks would get it. I've bashed mine a few times, I've thought many times about taking it out, and putting a fuel cell in the car. But I just can't afford a project like that right now. maybe some other time.

A big tank like that would really weigh you down as well. Can you imagine the weight of 30-50 gallons of gas in the soob? That's a lot. I'd just replace it with a little bigger tank and carry one or two gas cans around myself. Check Summitracing.com for different fuel cells.

A big tank like that would really weigh you down as well. Can you imagine the weight of 30-50 gallons of gas in the soob? That's a lot. I'd just replace it with a little bigger tank and carry one or two gas cans around myself. Check Summitracing.com for different fuel cells.

yeah, I said you'd have to beef up the suspension a little bit.

anyways, even making something that goes all the way across the frame that is a little bit flatter, but anyways, why you all runnin around bangin your crap up with out skid plates n stuff? :lol:

Cause its more fun that way!:grin: Yeah you'd HAVE to beef up the suspension. It might cost a little somethin somethin to have a tank made, I haven't seen any like you describe (wide and flat). Go for it and let us know how it goes, as I was looking into fuel cells as well.

I think Jibs is dead on with the fuel cell idea. They're not really that expensive (SUM-290104 16gallons $115 + $20 for mounting straps). And this includes anti slosh foam.....and no rust! If you don't have seats it the back (which is where you'd mount a fuel cell anyways....), another option might be to find a toolbox/fuel tank combo that would fit nicely. Check Harbour Freight or Northern Tools.... or cragislist... I had one back in high school in my Ford Courier ('76) that held 22 gallons and a decent sized tool box, and wasn't' really that big, but I can't rememeber who made it.....

If you're really serious about building one, remember that 1 gallon (US) is equal to .133 cubic foot. Or if you prefer, 1 cubic foot (12" X 12" X 12") equals 7.48 galons.... so it really doesn't take a huge tank to get a decent capacity.

Good luck...

NV

yeah, I plan on keeping my back seat cause I will be hauling people around occasionally, along with all my gear and stuff. whether I put a bigger tank or not in the back, the suspension needs to be beefed up regardless cause it will be taking more abuse and hauling more weight. anyways, fuel cell idea works great for some, but for me its about making the most of the space I have, that and I'm used to my nissan with its 60 gallon capacity.. although something I want to do is find a split bench like 60/40 that will fit in the back, or just find a couple bucket seats that will fit in the back so I can take out the bench and free up a little more room.

oh yeah dont worry I've thought about what to do for on board air, build a couple storage tanks and then run a compressor off of the drive belt where the ac would go, hell maybe even the ac compressor would work. since I have oversize tires, I would most likely fit some kind of tank where the spare tire originally went under the hood, along with keep my tools under there, and then run a hose or something to a spool of hose next to where I would have my winch, and also keep hose wound up in a spool in the back where the spare tire jack and window washer fluid is and run the air to that also. I also want to rig up an onboard combo stick/wire feed welder but i dunno if the car can put out enough power for that, and if I could find space for the welder, and c25, and if it could handle that much more weight.

AC Compressors work awsome. im working on a write up on them but sufice to say that done right they will last for along time and they will air up 4

36x12.5r15 tires in about 10 min. from 2lbs to 15lbs(the most we ever run in them)

oh yeah dont worry I've thought about what to do for on board air, build a couple storage tanks and then run a compressor off of the drive belt where the ac would go, hell maybe even the ac compressor would work. since I have oversize tires, I would most likely fit some kind of tank where the spare tire originally went under the hood, along with keep my tools under there, and then run a hose or something to a spool of hose next to where I would have my winch, and also keep hose wound up in a spool in the back where the spare tire jack and window washer fluid is and run the air to that also. I also want to rig up an onboard combo stick/wire feed welder but i dunno if the car can put out enough power for that, and if I could find space for the welder, and c25, and if it could handle that much more weight.