Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Outback Impreza tranny problem

2001 manual transmission 70k miles. Started making a high piched humming sound between 40-70mph when accelerating, changing gears has no affect on the noise. I think the noise is an A flat but it gets higher piched as I speed up. I drove with the noise for a month but it got louder. A shop said it was the transmission and maybe the rear differential. They took apart the tranny replaced some seals and gaskets and couldn't identify the problem and charged me 1000. It still makes the noise. Any thoughts? I know very little about cars but this problem has inspired me to learn. Thanks for any help!

the first thing you have to learn is to not let shops rip you off,dont know how long its been since they did the work but it would have been taken back if it was mine or never left their shop with the same noise for a thousand dollars. tell us a little more about the noise,only on the gas?how about when you are coasting?does it have the same sound in every gear?

2001 manual transmission 70k miles. Started making a high piched humming sound between 40-70mph when accelerating, changing gears has no affect on the noise. I think the noise is an A flat but it gets higher piched as I speed up. I drove with the noise for a month but it got louder. A shop said it was the transmission and maybe the rear differential. They took apart the tranny replaced some seals and gaskets and couldn't identify the problem and charged me 1000. It still makes the noise. Any thoughts? I know very little about cars but this problem has inspired me to learn. Thanks for any help!

aside from the pitch of the noise, is it a whine or does it have some vibrato to it?

nipper

Sounds familiar - the lady I bought my Subbie from had taken it to the mechanic with the same symptoms. The mechanic "replaced the gaskets", etc. (for $600) and then told her that she needed a new tranny that he could provide for about $1800. She sold the car to me for $500. I changed the tranny fluid and have driven her over 7000 miles as of this morning - no whine, no lag in shifts, no problems at all.

I'd have a chat with the mechanic!

Ya, I learned the lesson of not getting screwed by car shops. It only took one time. The mechanic also told me he changed the gaskets and I needed a new tranny. It's a done deal with this mechanic, I won't go back to him and I had to bargain him down from 1400 to 950 just to get my car outta there.

Anyway, no roof rack, it's a whine or a hum, no vibrato. Just hum in a high pitch and that's the sound my car makes. Same sound every gear. No sound when coasting or pressing gas with clutch engaged.