Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this Outback worth buying?

Hi all ...

First foray into Subaru ownership and this board.

I'm looking at a 1998 Subaru Outback with 83,100 miles on it. Guy wants $5,300. It's a 5-speed with leather seats, but few other luxuries (no sun-roof, etc.)

I figure she'll need new tires and probably brakes in the next year or so.

Guy claims the head gasket and timing chain were replaced at 65,000 miles, but I've not seen the evidence yet.

Ad here: http://boston.craigslist.org/car/132179915.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi all ...

First foray into Subaru ownership and this board.

I'm looking at a 1998 Subaru Outback with 83,100 miles on it. Guy wants $5,300. It's a 5-speed with leather seats, but few other luxuries (no sun-roof, etc.)

I figure she'll need new tires and probably brakes in the next year or so.

Guy claims the head gasket and timing chain were replaced at 65,000 miles, but I've not seen the evidence yet.

Ad here: http://boston.craigslist.org/car/132179915.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

If he said the timing chain has been replaced, ask if he meant belt, because it doesn't have a chain. The six cylinder motors have a chain though, I think.

Yeah... they don't have a timing chain on the four cylinder, which would be what the '98 had.

If he can give you records that the timing belt and head gaskets were changed as he said, it sounds pretty good. Low mileage for most the '98s I see. Out here, that would be a reasonable price. Maybe try talking him down to $5 even if it needs new brakes soon.

Looks like a good deal to me. Kelley Blue book appears to show high 6s to low 7s depending on condition. if you want to check that out the site is www.kbb.com.

Yeah, my dad's '96 OBW cost $6,300 in WA (from a dealer) with 140k on it, three years ago. I don't know if the NE is like Colorado, but here, any subaru's on craigslist are usually sold within three days... so jump on it if you want it.

Make certain all the recall work was completed. The dripping differential for that year could cause you problems if it wasn't addressed as per the recall. I wouldn't worry too much about the master brake cylinder failing under -20 degree temps, but manufacturers tend to understate recall reasoning. The car certainly has had the alternator replaced so that recall is moot. You're good to go because it's a five-speed. The ATs in that year sucked (lots of full-stop rumble).

If you can stand the look of that non-functioning hood scoop and are prepared to replace the ignition switch and/or starter contacts soon, it's a heck of a deal.

Juan

proof of headgasket repair - real good deal. no proof, move on or drop the price $1,000 and plan on it needing that somewhere down the road.

I believe the '98s had 2.4 engines with limited incidents of head gasket problems. Didn't the H.G. problems surface with the introduction of the 2.5 engine in 2000?

Juan

I believe the '98s had 2.4 engines with limited incidents of head gasket problems. Didn't the H.G. problems surface with the introduction of the 2.5 engine in 2000?
incorrect. there were two different types of head gasket issues depending on year. one was an internal leak and one was external. head gasket issues are valid for any 2.5 prior to 2000 MY. they were all "limited incident issues", none are gauranteed to have it, nor have near the predictability of say the dodge neon head gasket conundrum. subaru never offered a 2.4 liter in vehicles offered in america and i've never heard of one elsewhere.

OK, got some more information on this car.

Head gaskets have not been replaced yet, however per independent mechanic are not currently showing any issue.

Warranty work done includes master brake cylinder. Oil pump seal, serpentine belt and timing belt were replaced at 65,000 miles.

The car needs rear rotors and brake pads, and may need valve cover and oil pan gaskets eventually.

Guy is dropping the price to $4,500.

For $4,500 for a 1998 Outback with 83,000 miles, it's a deal. Even if I have to replace the head gaskets, I'll end up paying no more than the fair value of this car anyway (in the mid to high 6s per KBB.com). Friend is a good Subaru mechanic that can get parts cheap and work as well, and I'm handy enough to do the brakes myself.

Can't see any reason not to do this deal at that price.

Scott

Easy way to check if the head gaskets have been replaced with the "current" gaskets---the "current" ones are a 4 layer metal gasket vs. the origingal 3 layers. On top of the engine you can find a couple of places where the gasket is considerably exposed, and with your finger nail you can seperate and count the layers. One of the middle ones is real thin, but there are 4 in there.

If you buy that 98 I'd suggest considering replacing the head gaskets...mine on my 97 went out at 91k. Like you say, consider that in the bargaining process.