Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I'm looking for a fun daily driver and one of my friends recommended I get a Subaru, specifically an early 90's Legacy or an Impreza 2.2. Anyways, I'm looking for a car that's fun but also gets decent gas mileage, hopefully 20+ in the city. They recommended that I get a Subaru and turbo it. They said that as long as I stay out of boost I should still get good gas mileage.

I'm not super familiar with cars although I know a little. Anyways, do you guys know of any Subaru's that fit the bill? I've always like the wagons and I love the Subaru AWD system, another thing that really drawed me to these cars. So, what would you guys recommend? Also, the car doesn't have to be fast stock but eventually I'm hoping to run low 14's to high 13's so it would be better if the car has the potential to run those times. Don't want to buy a car that I love but then hit a brick wall later down the road.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to your replies!

Hi,

I'm looking for a fun daily driver and one of my friends recommended I get a Subaru, specifically an early 90's Legacy or an Impreza 2.2. Anyways, I'm looking for a car that's fun but also gets decent gas mileage, hopefully 20+ in the city. They recommended that I get a Subaru and turbo it. They said that as long as I stay out of boost I should still get good gas mileage.

I'm not super familiar with cars although I know a little. Anyways, do you guys know of any Subaru's that fit the bill? I've always like the wagons and I love the Subaru AWD system, another thing that really drawed me to these cars. So, what would you guys recommend? Also, the car doesn't have to be fast stock but eventually I'm hoping to run low 14's to high 13's so it would be better if the car has the potential to run those times. Don't want to buy a car that I love but then hit a brick wall later down the road.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to your replies!

I recommend a 2001 2.5 RS if you like the "classic" "GC8" bodystyle, or a 2002 WRX that has NOT been modified and also has low mileage.

well if you were asking about early 90's legacies and imprezas, I'm assuming you have a limited budget and maybe a newer RS or WRX is a little too much. If you want potential for good power, you should start with something turbocharged from the factory if you don't want to do a swap. That leaves you with a 91-94 Legacy turbo if you want to spend less than 12k or more on a used wrx.

The only complaints I have about my 93 Legacy AWD are that it's non-turbo and automatic.

If you're looking for good mileage, then consider something else - unless you're comparing to other 4x4s, in which case the soob shines. But compared to other 4 cyl cars with similar HP, soobs score much lower. My 92 legacy averages about 18 mpg city, 27 hwy. Hardly comparable to an accord or camry, but then again, neither of those cars have AWD.

What would be some other cars with similar power but better gas mileage? I don't intend this to be sarcastic at all, I'm just very curious. The only thing that I could really think of would probably be some Civic with an H22 dropped in or something but I really don't want to do an engine swap it possible.