Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need someone who knows ea82 subarus like none other...

ok, a friend of my dads has an 86 subaru wagon, I dont know its history at all, its in good shape, 90k miles... anyways, going to go look at it on friday to help her try to figure out whats wrong with the engine, not sure but sounds like may be an oil pump, or possibly something serious, not sure. her mechanic doesnt know subarus very well and she thinks he may be trying to screw her around, he says it needs a new engine, and quoted her some ungodly price. she doesnt want to sell it but if it needs a new engine she will most likely try to sell it away for a few hundred dollars, and considering I know people here who deal with this stuff everyday and can swap an engine in only a couple hours, I'm hoping I can get someone to come out with me on friday and help diagnose the problem, and if it does by chance need a new engine, swap it out for a reasonable rate.

this is around portland/vancouver area. anyone interested plz lemme know.

Do you know anything more about the car?, like what kind of sounds its making, or not making.

Will it turn over, if so, is it reading any oil pressure at all?

Are there any signs of leakage, like puddles, drips, or dried oil on the engine?

Do you know anything more about the car?, like what kind of sounds its making, or not making.

Will it turn over, if so, is it reading any oil pressure at all?

Are there any signs of leakage, like puddles, drips, or dried oil on the engine?

I havent seen the car at all... from what I was told there is a ticking once in a while that becomes very loud and the oil pressure drops, sounded to me like oil pump was bad, but also said when she is hard on the accelerator that it burns some oil. her mechanic was saying it had thrown some bearings, but my guess is maybe cause of a bad oil pump seal, probably getting air in the oil has screwed up something with the heads. ?

I buy a lot of cars, and, for your own self respect, you should make sure that your family friend knows that the problems are probably minor. At 96k it probably only needs belts, seals and the oil pump rebuilt.

I routinely buy cars with supposed problems, and in one case, returned the vehicle to the owner. I refrain from phoning the sellers back and telling them the real score, although I would sometimes dearly love to. When I suspect that there is little or nothing wrong with a car, I usually just make a comment to that effect and pay the full asking price.

Be kind to your family friend, nobody WANTS to sell their Suby, it's just that they aren't willing to pay for the repairs that it needs. Maybe she will give it to you when she is done with it, just for being honest.