Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Naa. Down there it will actually protect your motor a bit better for the conditions you get. The 5 part would be great for cold strating in cold weather and should help get a tiny bit better mileage and emissions.

I am near SF and I run 15-50 in my Forester but it has a lot of miles.

At operating temperature there is absolutely no difference in the viscosity of 5W30 or 10W30 motor oil beyond the normal brand variances. The first number folowed by a W is the cold viscosity so 5W30 flows better at startup than 10W30. The second number is the viscosity indicator at 100 degrees centigrade (celcius?) and the oil must meet the viscosity range specified by the API to be labeled as such.

Short answer, in your climate it doesn't matter much.

crane, that is NOT true.

The xW-xx numbers are appoximations that sum up a range of oil viscosities. You need to read the tech data sheets if you want to be serious about oil thickness.

For example: Mobil 1 5W-30 is viscosity-wise almost exactly the same as Shell Ultra 5W-40.

Top and bottom of the ranges...

why would you use a different weight oil than the owners manual recomends?
Well, let's take a look: (per '02 Impreza manual) "Engine oil viscosity affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. HOWEVER, IN HOT WEATHER, OIL OF HIGHER VISCOSITY IS REQUIRED TO PROPERLY LUBRICATE THE ENGINE"

My manual has a little temperature graph indicating that 5W-30 is OK up to 100*F. The chart also has a second arrow indicating that above 0*F 10W-30 & 10W-40 are applicable.

Then it reads: "If the vehicle is used in desert areas, in areas with very high temperatures, or used for heavy-duty applications such as towing a trailer, use of oil with the following grade and viscosities is recommended: SAE 30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50"

It wasn't that long ago when all owners manuals correlated viscosity with vehicle useage and ambient temperature, but the trend is toward manuals with a dumbed-down one-size-fits-all viscosity recommendation. It's to Subaru's credit that they still put the information in the manual for people that are willing to read it.

yep, this used to be stated on most info and now Subaru is one of the few. My BMW manual also makes this pretty clear. I guess they know folks will drive them all over the world.

I think this guy is using the correct oil for his area since you will never see cold and you can get stuck in traffic in the summer which can be as bad as towing.

yep, this used to be stated on most info and now Subaru is one of the few. My BMW manual also makes this pretty clear. I guess they know folks will drive them all over the world.

I think this guy is using the correct oil for his area since you will never see cold and you can get stuck in traffic in the summer which can be as bad as towing.

This is good info but correction is needed on the "stuck in traffic in summer" part. Excessive idling and stop and go driving puts lots of demands on cooling system but doesn't increase oil temp. This is a common misconception and only people with cars equiped with oil temp gauges can attest to the fact that engine oil is lukewarm in city driving. Oil is only hot with high speed, high RPM driving and thus, racing cars have engine oil coolers.

This also why cars sold in US are recommended with 5W30 or 5W20 oils while most cars sold in Europe usually call for 5W40 or 10W40 oils.

That's interesting Friendly, I'll have to watch the BMW oil temp guage more in traffic. I'd swear it goes up when I sit there and idle, the water temp guage sure does. It also goes up when climbing the Grapevine which is more akin to the high speed high load stuff.