Ultimate Subaru Message Board

firerock

The 80's Soobs have the parking brakes in the front, built into the front calipers. Thusly, you need to TURN the pistons clockwise back into the calipers, you can't just push them straight in. You can actually damage them by doing so. You can turn them while depressing them with a pair of needlenose pliers, but that's not fun, lemme tell ya. Harbor Freight has a tool that works really well at turning the pistons while you compress them.

it also sometimes helps to take the caliper completely out of the car so you can get some good leverage on it while you turn it in.

First time I did the brakes... took an 1-1.5 hours each side a half turn at a time to do them in using a combination big wrench/other tools.

Second time with a drill, special tool, and calipers out of the car... 5 minutes per side :banana:

I'm trying to do a front brake job on my 88 GL sedan, can't seem to get the calipers to depress, is there a special sequence or prceedure i'm missing or are my calipers junk?:confused:

thanks guys for the input. I was afraid to scratch the cylinder with pliers, worked great! now I will make me a tool.