Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where 2 find Dual Range tranny in CAli?

Anybody know a good pick n pull or have any knowledge of where to find a dual range transmission in california? I am actually in Central CA. I just talked to aguy in texas that says he imports these trannies from japan w/ 30,000 mi for $295? A little steep for me!

One bit of advice from experience --- look up the serial number range for your particular vehicle. Write it down. Make sure the long thin metal tag -- with the original serial number -- is still on the case of the transmission you buy. Make sure you have looked up the Technical Service Bulletin about grinding into second gear (it's mentioned in an earlier thread, try "TSB") so you know which numbers were built after the change (older ones may have been fixed, no way to tell). Count the number and location of the electrical connectors on the outside of the case and make sure they are correct for your particular vehicle, if you have one wire more or less the engine computer won't function right. Count the number of teeth on the whatchamacallit that drives the connection to the rear wheels so you know whether or not you have a turbo.

These are the things the first shop I took my '88 to failed to check, when they tried four different used transmissions -- and the sources they used also didn't care to check those details. All of the four were close enough to be installed in the vehicle, none of them were correct. There are only a few different models, but from my experience, there is not a lot of knowledge left among current repair people about these old vehicles.

Oh, and if you're looking for Subaru mechanics in Berkeley, don't think "SOS" -- it doesn't mean "help" in my experience.

Fortunately I had taken my old tranmsission, they'd told me they were going to junk it -- and I ended up shipping mine to CCRinc in Colorado, who rebuilds these things.

The yard in your area has a good ammount of SooB parts?!! If you have their # I would like to call them and if they have a Dual Range. I would drivre up there to get it!! I live in Santa BArbara.

Here are the two that I know well. There are always subies in the yard. I'm pretty sure there is a Pick-A-Part in Madera as well.

Pick-n-Pull, 3230 E Jenson. 559-233-3881

*Pick-A-Part, 2274 E Muscat. 559-268-0216

*This yard kept my car alive while in college 16 years ago.

Here are the two that I know well. There are always subies in the yard. I'm pretty sure there is a Pick-A-Part in Madera as well.

Pick-n-Pull, 3230 E Jenson. 559-233-3881

*Pick-A-Part, 2274 E Muscat. 559-268-0216

*This yard kept my car alive while in college 16 years ago.

Thanks Big HElp!! Yes I am running on a small budget, a tiny spec of know how and willingness to jump into a project I have no idea how to do but it will be fun!!

woah!!! look at all these people in cali!!!! i had no idea! NEAT!!! theres almost always a dual range tranny in the pick a part out in hayward. right off of winton on 880. super easy to find.. and i just found out that there are 3 more pick a part yards within 3 miles!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!

check there. :) any of you going to WCSS?!!? CARAVAN!!!!

;)

Luigi