Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got my new baby ('06 Impreza 2.5i), and I'd like to keep it for a long, long time. In addition to the required break-in period (nothing over 4000 rpm for the first thousand miles), I've heard from some people that it's a good idea to change the oil and filter after the break-in period is done. The book makes no mention of this, so I don't know who to believe.

Additionally, I want to switch to synthetic oil as soon as possible, but I've heard warnings to use the dino stuff for the first 5000 or so miles. Your opinions on this?

Finally, the manufacturer states the oil should be changed every 7500 miles. From other 2.5 n/a owners, what oil change interval do you use?

Thanks in advance, from someone new to the Subaru world.

I am a little paranoid about doing frequent oil changes, hence I change engine oil and filter each 3,000-km. Yes, I know that many people think that this is excessive, but it is cheap insurance and my car always runs on clean oil :).

As to break-in periods, when my 2002 Forester was new, I changed all oils at 1,000-km. That included engine oil, manual-transmission, and rear-diff.

I noticed that the drained rear-diff oil was a cloudy-grey colour at 1,000-km. And so I drained it again at 8,000-km, at which time the oil was clear.

And then I drained both the MT and rear-diff again at 50,000-km.

I agree with you that one shouldn't rev the engine too high during the break-in period (say for the first 1,000-km); I would also recommend not too much throttle, so that the gear-teeth and con-rod bearings don't see too much load. This will allow these metal surfaces to polish up nicely.