Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale front end problem

I have a 92 loyale AT 103,000 2wd. When you get the car to 55 to 60 starts to get a vibration in the steering wheel when you let off the gas you will get a clicking or popping on the pass side and then you will feel movement in the steering wheel. kinda like when you run over grooves in the road and the steering wheel move around on you. Kind of scary. Clicks when you go around a left corner. CVs are proly shot. Changed the drivers side axle last year. Remanufactured axle. Hope this axle is not bad.IS THIS SAFE? Checked wheel nuts looked ok. It seems to be getting worse. What would cause the wheel to move like that?

for safety make sure immediatley that the axle nut isn't coming loose like just mentioned. i don't bother with torque spec's on them, i tighten them as far as i can with my 3 foot pipe on the end of a 3/4" ratchet.

there have been lots of problems with reman axles. go with subaru OEM axles or MWE. even used axles with good boots are a good option and inexpensive. the stock OEM axles are excellent and i've never seen one break. i am the victim of reman'ed axles breaking. it's crazy....the Subaru OEM 20 year old axles never break, but remann'ed axles do?

i would inspect the cv's next and probably replace them if you can't figure anything else out.

with vibrating, steering drift and noises, it could be alot of things, cv axles seem the best bet for causing all of them. check those, replace and post results.

Steering vibration could be caused by worn wheel bearings, loose ball joints or tie-rod ends, bent rims or unbalanced tires. CV joints are not likely to cause a vibration except under load. Did the problem develop slowly or just started? Touch a curb or lose a wheel weight?

It slowly started. You can drive at 45 nothing. Get up to 55 nothing. Then let off quick and you will here clicking and thumping. A little shaking in the wheel. And then it will go away. My wife drove it one day and said slowed down to go around a car and it made a clicking thumping sound real bad. It only does it once in a while. We been having cold temps. Below freezing. It slowly getting worse. I drove it last month when it was warm to work 25 mi trip one way at 65 to 70mph no problems except little clicks here and there. Typical cv clicking. Hope it is not the reman axle.

Should be easy to troubleshoot. Get the car's front end lifted up and get something sturdy under it so you don't kill yourself. Get a pry bar and a flashlight if you need it. You might want to have a helper on hand to turn the steering wheel.

First, visually look at the stuff under there, ball joints, control arms, CV joint boots, bushings, etc, and see if there is an obvious visual problem.

If not, take and pry between things like ball joints somewhat and see if you can induce any play that is abnormal between things.

Have someone turn the steering back and forth with the wheels off the ground and on the ground with resistance and observe all the suspension and steering components on both sides, look for abnormalities.

I have had VWs with similar issues before and a CV joint would be my first guess. Drive at low speed in a parking lot and accelerate and decelerate while turning. If the clicking is worse then, a giveaway. However, if you have an INNER CV joint that is bad, less likely, but the turn and click thing only works for an OUTER. I had a Rabbit where it had shake in the wheel and clunking at highway speeds, nothing at low speeds, was a bad inner joint.

A torn CV boot is a giveaway that crap got in and is eating stuff up inside the joint, too.

Good news is, CVs for Subarus seem reasonable on eBay.

Matt

If you suspect wear or front-end damage, all you have to do is go to a reputable front-end shop; they will diagnose your problem for free and quote you on the necessary repairs, all at no cost to you. Out of fairness to them, I would only suggest that you check for the obvious first. You've had lots of suggestions so far. Good luck.