Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Timing Belts??

The parts to rebuild an EA81 are basically no longer available.  These engine nearly always need replacement oil pumps and they went out of production many years ago and are now essentially unobtainable. Along with intake valves for the 83+ heads, bearings and rings from reputable suppliers, lifters (especially the hydro ones), and no one really has the proper tooling or setup to do line honing, boring, etc. Even decent gaskets and seals are becoming very difficult. 

The EA81 cars have long since left the domain of daily driving status because of the replacement parts logistics, and lack of service knowledge in the repair industry. It will be a huge fight to daily drive one. As someone that has daily driven them and other 80's cars. Have plenty of long term backup plans in place for when it's out of service for months at a time or longer. 

GD

• Thanks 1

I have the parts :) most of them in doubles, thank you for the reminder though. 

Between  my frends dad and my friend who use to work on brats here in the US on his own,  and some locals who still have non running parts cars, i have most of the parts i need to make the ea81 in my Brat live a while longer :)

• Like 2