Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice on buying a Legacy

I have read and researched AWD wagons inorder to replace my aging '85

4WD Tercel.

Subaru's look so good with the reputation to match.

I have been talking to a seller with a 1995 Legacy LSI.

It has 240K and automatic.

The seller is the original owner. No accidents, everything works and the HG does not leak. Seller has no problem having it inspected.

He wants 3900. Is this a reasonable amount?

Your inputs will be appreciated.

I have read and researched AWD wagons inorder to replace my aging '85

4WD Tercel.

Subaru's look so good with the reputation to match.

I have been talking to a seller with a 1995 Legacy LSI.

It has 240K and automatic.

The seller is the original owner. No accidents, everything works and the HG does not leak. Seller has no problem having it inspected.

He wants 3900. Is this a reasonable amount?

Your inputs will be appreciated.

$3900 sounds kind of high for an 11 year old car, but, it depends how pristine its condition. To be honest, that's probably $1,000 less than a lot might ask for an LSi.

I have an 95 LSi and I love the car. I've had it a year and a half now, and it's got 180K miles on the odometer. The car drives great. The 2.2 engine is a dream, and I think most people would tell you if you're looking for a good used Sube, try to find one w/ the 2.2.

If you feel comfortable with the price, I would say that's reasonable for what the car is. Leather seats, CD changer, AWD, and most of the factory goodies. Plus, with it being from the origional owner, you know the entire history of the car--assuming you trust the person. Try to get the entire maintenance record of the vehicle. Timing belt replaced? If not, figure that will need done.

My 95 LSi wagon replaced a newer car with half the miles, and my Subaru is a much better built vehicle than what it replaced. That 2.2 engine in the car you are looking at is a very solid motor.

sounds okay, but there are much better deals to be had. i don't know your area though. if you need one now, test drive it and check it out. an average or okay deal now is better than finding only terrible deals when you need a car. if you can wait, hold off.

in the states if you're willing to travel (fly and drive back) you expand your area and options and can get great deals. i've gotten most (almost all of my daily drivers) from other states.

any service records? if not you may want to check into having the tbelts changed, that will be an additional cost.

As others have said, it's a great machine, and if it was reasonably cared-for, it should last for a long time. The price is a little high, but not totally out of the ballpark if the car is in good shape.

Get all the receipts. Make sure:

1 - Belts have been changed, and at this age, hopefully the water pump as well (you may want to pre-emptively change the H2O pump if they current owner hasn't). Also get some evidence that this person changed the oil frequently.

2 - The CV joints are in OK shape; these cars tend to eat them, who knows why.

3 - no torque bind. Do figure-8's with it in the parking lot, make sure it doesn't "buck".

4 - Alternator. I think there was a recall on the alternator in this car (anyone know for sure?) If there was, make sure that the owner put in the new one.

Everyone has to remember that the Cdn $ is only worth 86 cents US. Also things always seem to cost way more here.

Would this be the car you're looking at?

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/BC/1995_Import_Cars/2124/-1/48769676/1995_SUBARU_LEGACY_Wgn_4DR_LSI_AWD.aspx

I just checked the local BC Buy&Sell and it's by far the cheapest 1995 there.

http://www.buysell.com/search/resultsvr2.aspx?pshcat=keyword&id=2124&qu=legacy

I think that's a great price for a 95 if it really is in good shape. I paid $3900 (asking $4600) for my 91 Legacy LS wgn last year.

It's 3900 Canadian. In Vancouver BC, good used cars seem to go for the high end of the average book value.

The mileage is 168,000 miles. It is a concern. However, having such excellent responses is a great help.

I am not desperate to buy, though the seller has dropped his price by a thousand. I will wait, look around and send him another email with questions about reciepts and repairs.

Super impressed with your responses.:banana:

That's the one.

Seller seems to be honest. He bought a new Forrester. He has dropped the price by a thousand over three weeks. I am concerned about the AT given the milage and the hills.

I am not in a rush but replacing my Tercel is becoming apparent.

That's the one.

Seller seems to be honest. He bought a new Forrester. He has dropped the price by a thousand over three weeks. I am concerned about the AT given the milage and the hills.

My odometer reads 183,000 miles on it. So far my transmission has operated very well. (My only problem is a mild vibration when sitting still in traffic in D.) If the previous owner took the car to the Subie dealership, then service/repair records should be readily available through them if you have the VIN.

I did a scan of autotrader.com out of curosity and the 95/96 Legacy cars are priced higher than I expected. An LSi is a nicer car, too, if any of that is important to you. Depending on what Subarus sell for in your area, this one might not be a great deal, but if it is in good condition it sounds like a fair deal. You can probably find a better deal if you wait, but that's not always a guarantee. The 2.2 engine is the way to go, though, if you keep looking for used Subarus.

Not a great picture of the car on that web page that's linked above. For fun, though, click on the "More in this price range" link and see the other 10-11 yr old cars that pop up at the same price...

It does say OBO--If you like the car, see if they will take $3,400. You can always pay the $3,900 afterwards if they don't bite...

That's the one.

i think the AT fears may be overblown, i've got a 96 and it shifts as well as it did when I took delivery of it (new) almost 11 years ago.

* Make sure to take it for a thorough test drive, do the figure-8's in a parking lot, make sure all the shifts are crisp, and that it goes into gear quickly when taking it out of park.

* Check his receipts closely for AT maintenance -- like changing the AT fluid regularly! So many people let that go, and (IMO) its one of the major causes for the self-destruction of the 4EAT.

* One expensive but overlooked issue is the tires; what kind are they, and what kind of shape are they in? bring a penny with you, and measure the tread depth of all the tires; if they are significantly different, you've got issues. Those tires will need to be replaced, and its possible that the different tread depths were putting undue stress on the transmission (see the plethora of other posts about this issue..)

* If you're planning on going into the mountains for skiing, consider picking up a set of snows as well. As many can attest to here, AWD is good but like any other car, bad tires can lead to some unexpected handling issues, especially on snow and ice.

I agree. Subaru had one of the better automatics in the 90's. They don't normally fail prematurely. That said abuse and lack of care can wreck anything.

According to the original owner, the auto in my 91 Legacy is original and it works fine. Part throttle shifts can be a little rough at times but I've been told that is normal in these boxes. Full throttle is a perfect shift right at 6500 rpm.

From firsthand experience- the 95 legacy and its 2.2l engine is a great car. I bought my first one with in -98 w/ 111,000miles and sold it in 03 with 211,000 miles, no problems with the engine or tranny. Minimal problems altogether- I did replace timing belt at 150,000 miles, brakes at 180,000, left valve cover gasket around the same time, (it also seeped oil from the seperator plate, common with this year, look under the front of the vehicle at the muffler y-pipe, if it has oil on it this may be the cause) 02 sensor, knock sensor, front right ball joint, and tires. I drove the hell out of this vehicle and never worried about the engine or tranny. I did notice that as I racked up the mileage with the automatic tranny that it and the car rattled while in drive or reverse, while at a stop. At 133,000 miles it suffered from torque bind, had the tranny flushed at the dealership and never dealt with it again. This is common- from what I have read it on the site, sometimes it can't be remedied this way. Luckily, the new '95 is just bought was remedied this same way- got for $3500 with 99,000miles on it. (I couldn't help myself). About your '95 Lsi, nice car with all the bells and whistles. If the mileage is 240k and not 240km at $3900 american dollars, I would say to much money. However, it is canadian and if my conversion is right, this would be around $3400 and it is 240km (150,000miles) this is a good deal. If it is 150,000 miles at $3900, this is a tad steep, but negotiable. Look at the history, timing belt, water pump, tires, brakes, moonroof, body (rust, dings, dents,etc.) Have the fluids, such as the tranny, front and rear diffs been changed recently?

Good luck!