Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carb alternatives for ea-82?

32/36 DGEV is the easiest swap. It's got the electric choke on the front and the bellcrank on the same side as the stock carb. The DFEV has the bellcrank on the opposite side.

And that's exactly WHY the DFV works better - the adaptor plate for the Weber to the EA82 manifold is opposite to the one for the EA81, so with a DGV on the EA82 the cable has to reach around to the other side of the carb DFV it does not.

GD

And that's exactly WHY the DFV works better - the adaptor plate for the Weber to the EA82 manifold is opposite to the one for the EA81, so with a DGV on the EA82 the cable has to reach around to the other side of the carb DFV it does not.

GD

I used a DFEV on my 86 wagon. Discovered the electric choke clearance issue with the PS reservoir. First I thought about reversing the carb, but then there's the throttle-cable issue. So I converted the choke to manual with a $10 manual choke kit from NAPA. I mounted the choke handle to the right side of the center console, and ran it into the engine bay thru an existing plug in the firewall on the passenger side. This worked fine for me, and I liked the "old school" feel of having a manual choke, like an MGB or something.

GD

Actually, with the DGV the throttle cable is routed in the stock position. This is a DGEV on an EA82. Notice that the cable is in the stock position using the stock bellcrank.

post-15382-136027606516_thumb.jpg

Actually, with the DGV the throttle cable is routed in the stock position. This is a DGEV on an EA82. Notice that the cable is in the stock position using the stock bellcrank.

Well - that's an EA82 without PS - which is not common. Mostly the carb has to be turned around the other way so the elec. choke doesn't hit the PS pump.

GD

I've read on here where some have dented the PS pump to clear the choke on the Weber, when installing one on an EA-82. I'd be a little leary of doing that, myself... Others have spun the Weber around to clear the pump.

I did that myself. I swapped an EA-82 carb intake onto my EA-81, and installed the Weber. Doing so, causes interferance with the Disty, just like with the PS pump on the EA-82s. So,,, I spun the Weber around, and flipped the bellcrank for the throttle cable. Here's a pic of it. http://photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/White%2086%20BRAT/?action=view&current=flippedlinkage.jpg

The throttle return spring goes down to the Alt bracket, not sure where it would go on an EA-82 engine. There's about an 1-1/4" of spacer behind the bracket that holds the throttle cable. Not sure if that would be needed on the EA-82, but it might, cable length will determine that.

Just another idea......