Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Subaru Loyale install '87 XT Turbo engine

I have a 1992 Subaru Loyale 4x4 that has a high mileage engine. I just picked up 1987 XT Turbo with a rebuilt engine for $50. The body is junk on the XT, so I figure I can put the fresh engine into the Loyale.

What kind of problems can I expect with the wiring harness? Do I need to do anything special with the harness since the XT has a digital dash?

Another thing, both are autos. The Loyale is a push button 3AT and the XT is a push button 4AT. I have a D/R 5 speed that I am putting in it. I was going to put the 5 speed in and replace the head gaskets on the Loyales engine. Now I will put it behind the turbo motor.

Anyone have any suggestions for someone who has never worked on a Subaru? I have worked many vehicles, and down a few engine swaps, just never a fuel injection swap.

The easiest way to switch engines with differing wiring harnesses is to take the intake off the sedan's engine.The new intake gaskets aren't expensive. Don't forget the small coolant line behind the thermostat housing and the solid oil line at the back of the intake. As for the differences in the autos, check the flywheels and torque converters. You may need to exchange those too. I don't remember.Aside from that, the engine switch is simple and should only take an hour and a box of beer.

PS- while you have the engine out, check the timing belts, seals, oil pan gasket/bolts and exhaust. These are a heck of a lot easier to do with the engine out. A bit of work now saves a lot of walking later.

:headbang: Rock on.

The engine switch should be easy. I am just concern about the wiring harness difference between the '87 Turbo XT and the '92 NA Loyale. Obviously I want to put the turbo into the Loyale... who would want a turbo engine without hte turbo.

Is the ECM for the XT in the trunk?

What engine is currently in your loyale,... is it carbed, spfi or mpfi?

If it is the latter,.. mpfi, you are in luck

I will be doing basically the same thing, putting a xt turbo motor in my wagon, but using the wagon wiring loom.

From what i have found, the xt and loyale use the same wiring system, only in the xt, it is layed out different.

The only difference is that the turbo motor will need some wires added. a shielded wire for the knock sensor, a wire for the waste gate duty solenoid. plus a wire each for the boost sensor and the oil pressure sensor on your dash

The 84-86 ecu's (sometimes refered to as 3 plug ecu's) are different to the 87-94 (4 plug) ecu's. Pinouts between turbo and na models are the same.

Any other qtns,.. dont hesitate to ask

Gannon.

your best bit would be to get a mpfi wiring loom (then you will only have to add the wires i do, or get an RX or GL10 loom that has all the wires you need.

Do you think the wiring harness that is in the XT I have will work fine? Should I worry about the fact that the XT has a digital dash and the Loyale does not?

Also, how common is it to have an XT with a button on the bottom left that is for height?

fairly rare in the states i have seen one

Well this 9/86 XT that I bought for $50 has it. Does anyone want it and parts that it controls? The kid I bought it from took the air compressor pump, and the front air springs don't seem to hold air. There is another set in the trunk. Also looks like a set of rear air shocks. The rear on the car has springs. I am going to take the engine out and few other drivetrain parts... wish it had an LSD... and junking the rest.

The XT wiring is very different to the loyale one. same wires and sensors ect, but they are just located in different parts of the car/loom. eg. the ecu is in the boot of the xt, under dash for loyale,... the loom enters the engine bay in the centre of the firewall on the xt, it goes through the fender above the wheel on the loyale. would be very hard to use same loom in my opinion. go to the jy and find a mpfi car and see if you can get the loo, just ake sure is is of same era. 88 onwards would be your best bet.

Hope this helps

Gannon.