Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 Justy idle

I just bought an 89 justy that has been badly abused. I was originally going to sell it, but it is starting to grow on me. I know very little about cars in general and even less about Subarus. It was originally an automatic but was changed to a 5-spd at some point, and it has a 3-cyl engine. It never fails to start,but it runs REALLY rough. We are in the process of a tune up, but the plug wires had to be ordered, no one had them in stock. I have noticed that as long as you have the rpms above 1600 or so, it smooths right out. I have had one person tell me that the normal idle on most subarus is around 900 (mine idles at about that), and I have had another person tell me that because it is a 3-cyl it should idle higher (around 1500 or higher). I am considering changing the idle, but I am not sure what is normal for this car. Does anyone know what it should be idling at, and do you have any tips on changing the idle? I was told that working on a Subaru is different than working on most other cars.

The 90 justy 5spd no real dents 8th justy off the line that year I had found. I bought for 350 from a guy that put money into a dead horse. Meaning a bad motor. The third cylinder was dead. I would do a "compression check" on each cylinder. If the motor was bad. Its hard to find one. I found one after many telephone calls all over british columbia to wyoming and texas. One company said they had one in shipment and I waited for a response calling every month and found out they where pulling my chain. I was bumbed. I found a motor in idaho a guy had. One of those japanese motors. I learned to always ask the question. "Do you know where you can find one." What a wild chicken chase it took me to find one. With a list I got from off of this site a while back. Did help but had to step further into the mudd. There is a guy on ebay in oregon I think that rebuilds them. I heard he will rebuild a motor or build you one for about 800 I think. I forget the thread but one guy on here talked with him and said he knew what he was talking about. Its cheaper to just get a rebuilt motor than to do it yourself on those I think and much easier. Usually with those japanese motors the wait i found is over 6 months. At a price of 550 bucks. I know shucks has some for sale depending on if it is carburated or efi. All in all irony. A local wrecker I never thought about looking over they had no idea what was in their 10 acre indian wrecking yard they had four justy's two covered in blackberry bushes all there. Just hard to get at unless you had a long machette. One had the right motor just the hood was off and only the starter was missing. I have been meaning to go back and take some pictures to put on here. Have a good one.

bobby

Wow, I did not need to hear that, but thanks anyway. I bought it in a package deal with an 89 turismo, both for $500, so I am not sure I would even sink that much money into it if it has a bad cyl. The body and int. are in good shape though, if I can find another engine to throw in it for cheep then maybe...

Well the motor I found at the junk yard. They dont know what they have. They will sell it for $100 bucks ugh after all that time. I just dont know if it is any good. All the glass in two of the cars are nice looking no cracks. One is white the other is i think blue. Both rear hatches are in perfect shape. I looked before and I dumped a lot of money into the one I have now. New motor and all cant really complain. Just dont like it idling at about 4000 rpm at 70mph going down the road on the interstate. Wish they would have made a six speed. I still need the 4x4 vac control. I found one but they want $400. Will still work just with a rubber nipple for now. So I guess I need to get out there and take pictures of that yard. There are a lot more than just justy's out there. Some nice newer sub's. I figure I could buy from them and put them on ebay lol. I saw fender go for 250 bucks. About dropped to the floor.. Its almost as worse as that expensive seahawk hot dog.. I guess parts you can do more with..:clap:

Have you changed plugs, distributor cap, and rotar? That would be a good start. I just got an '89 Justy myself. Wasn't really planning to keep it, but like you said, it just grows on you. Mine idles too high also, about 1800 rpm. They are supposed to idle at about 800. If the weather gets decent, I'm going to try to adjust my idle down and see what happens. Other than the high idle speed, mine runs great, really peppy. By the way, welcome to the forum, a lot of very friendly and knowledgeable people here. Stay with us on this problem and I'm sure we'll get your Justy running right.

Jack

eiyapet-i just bought a 94 justy dl and did a tune-up on mine(plugs,wires,cap,rotor,air filter) and mine has rough idle when warmed up.i talked to a friend of mine that works on subarus(very knowledgable)he told me that a little rough idle was normal cause of the fact that they only have three cylinders,so there's not much spinning mass to be balanced.

that's what i've been told.he did say that i could adjust the idle up a bit so that it'll smooth out but he wasn't sure how to do it.

i picked mine up for a steal $175.very small amount of rust on the front fenders (just in front of tires,normal rust out spot) and some seams (seats) that are torn. oh and the odometer says less then 75,000 miles on her.

:banana:my_new_subaru1.JPG(click on pic)

Thanks for all of the info everyone. Even with the rough idle it still runs like a raped ape when you get it going. Well, maybe not an ape, it's a little small for that. I even deliviered pizza in it for a night without too many problems without the tune up. You guys are making me rethink selling it, so I went ahead and ordered the wires/distibutor/rotor. I guess I can always get rid of the turismo instead, anyone interested? :brow:

Thanks for all of the info everyone. Even with the rough idle it still runs like a raped ape when you get it going. Well, maybe not an ape, it's a little small for that. I even deliviered pizza in it for a night without too many problems without the tune up. You guys are making me rethink selling it, so I went ahead and ordered the wires/distibutor/rotor. I guess I can always get rid of the turismo instead, anyone interested? :brow:

no selling of the justy(keep it)sell turismo.

i had same problems getting the same parts(wires/dist cap/and even air filter had to be ordered)they did have my plugs and rotor though.i need to replace my gas filter(which probably gonna need to be ordered)

so how about a pic of your justy??

• 3 months later...

You should try screwing around with the vacuum lines, mine had an engine/tranny swap out of a newer Justy and after reversing some and hooking up others I've got mine to idle nicely. I was about to take a big hammer to it because it was idleing at 4grand and I was not a happy camper. It's an 87 and had an 89 motor and trany put in it then driven half a block and parked for 10 years it now purr's like a kittycat and goes like a raped ape, ok a very small monkey but it's workin good.

Good Luck

Mudrat357:burnout:

I just bought an 89 justy that has been badly abused. I was originally going to sell it, but it is starting to grow on me. I know very little about cars in general and even less about Subarus. It was originally an automatic but was changed to a 5-spd at some point, and it has a 3-cyl engine. It never fails to start,but it runs REALLY rough. We are in the process of a tune up, but the plug wires had to be ordered, no one had them in stock. I have noticed that as long as you have the rpms above 1600 or so, it smooths right out. I have had one person tell me that the normal idle on most subarus is around 900 (mine idles at about that), and I have had another person tell me that because it is a 3-cyl it should idle higher (around 1500 or higher). I am considering changing the idle, but I am not sure what is normal for this car. Does anyone know what it should be idling at, and do you have any tips on changing the idle? I was told that working on a Subaru is different than working on most other cars.

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy!:-\

My '89 is a number of months through the 'sorting out' phase...

The high idle (auto-choke controlled?) is ~1800... sometimes 1600 sometimes 2000. After getting engine temp up a bit it is supposed to kick back down. If not, depress the gas pedal one time firmly/quickly and it should kick down to 900ish.

Did the tune-up help?

Best Luck/Skill,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

119,111 miles