Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 solid lifter moter... in 84 brat.

So, after doing a compression test to see why it wouldn't idle worth crap. Piston #1 has about 40psi of compression, piston #4 has about 65psi, at that point I felt it wasn't worth my time to check the other 2 pistons. Time to find another new moter for this car. I know the heads were just rebuilt on this engine, so I'm asumming the piston rings are just shot. I don't think anything else would cause the lack of compression, right? this is a solid ea81 lifter engine, in the 84 brat.

Are you sure it's #1 and #4?? Those are on different banks...

#1 is passenger side front, and #4 is drivers side rear.... do you mean #1 and #3??

If you mean #1 and #3 then you probably have a failed head gasket. Also - did you do the test properly with all the plugs removed, and the throttle plates open while cranking for at least 5 seconds?

I'm suspecting you didn't do the test right as those readings are low, but still similar enough, and high enough to almost rule out a head gasket. usually a blown head gasket will read around 10 - 20 psi, but that depends on how it's blown too.

GD

Valve lash should be good, it was adjusted when the heads got rebuilt. Yes I do mean #1 and #4, I intentionally tested one piston on each side to illiminate the possibility of a headgasket. And the way it's running, doesn't say headgasket. Oil's clean, coolant's clean. so if it's blown, it's blown between pistons. And both sides are blown in that case.

Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to pull the head covers off again and check the valve lash again.

So, after doing a compression test to see why it wouldn't idle worth crap. Piston #1 has about 40psi of compression, piston #4 has about 65psi, at that point I felt it wasn't worth my time to check the other 2 pistons. Time to find another new moter for this car. I know the heads were just rebuilt on this engine, so I'm asumming the piston rings are just shot. I don't think anything else would cause the lack of compression, right? this is a solid ea81 lifter engine, in the 84 brat.

Are you sure it's a solid lifter motor? For some reason I'm thinking they swithced to hydraulic lifters in 83 (82 being the last solid lifter year). I could be wrong though, no data but a fuzzy memory to back me up.:-\

Positive. I already pulled the head covers off once, and it doesn't have the do not adjust stickers. They're solid lifters. That, and I know the guy who rebuilt the heads... Austin... I'm pretty sure hes accurate and I'm accurate by the way it looks that these are solid pushrods and lifters.

Are you sure it's a solid lifter motor? For some reason I'm thinking they swithced to hydraulic lifters in 83 (82 being the last solid lifter year). I could be wrong though, no data but a fuzzy memory to back me up.:-\

In 83 and 84, EA81s with hydraulic lifters were only available with an automatic transmission.