Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2wd and 4wd disty

Hi new suber here! I have an 86 gl 4X4 wagon carbed but its got a 2wd drive engine with the 2wd disty and the 4x4 carb. My question is would having the 2wd disty affect my gas milage? I have done a complete tune up plugs,wires cap and rotor. I know its not vacum related because i only have the vacum lines going to disty,heater control and brake booster and they r all fine and no cat. The problem is that i am getting realy bad gas milage ( 18 t0 20 mpg) and i have to drive 100 miles a day to and from work so i need to get better milage. Allso engine only has 100,000 miles on it. Thanks for the help in advance.

you have the correct base timing? thats really bad mileage, are the secondaries open all the time or choke stuck on? id swap a weber instead of the disty.
Base timing is on. The hitachi is ok for what it is, holds good idle choke is good and not stuck and no the secondaries r not on all the time they kick in at about 3/4 throttle. Allso just changed fuel filters. I do have a rebuilt from factory holly weber im getting ready to swap when i get adapter kit but untill then i need to get more milage out of this car.Thank you for the help! Any more suggestion would be great!

i dont know why no one else is replying. :confused:

is this a new thing or has it always behaved like this?

can you smell the fuel at any point when you are driving

is the exhaust system in decent condition?

Yea i dont know why no one else is replying either. It is an on and off again problem. No smell of gas and exhaust is in great shape. Went and looked under hood again and was moving wires around when it started acting really stange. Noticed that tach was jumping real bad and engine was pulsating. One yellow wire from coil to disty was loose and had gunk on it like green stuff like your battery gets on it. Cleaned it and noticed posi side bat cable was loose to. Tigtened both and idle smoothed out. Now i just have to wait untill i drive to work tommorow to see if MPG r better. Did take it out for test drive and it performed a lot better. I would still like to know if there is a diff in between 2wd and 4wd disty?

sometimes it pays to check the float height as the hitachi are quite sensitive to it. I've had bad mileage off and on with hitachi and just recently swapped to weber. I'm definately not going back.

greg

Pretty sure float leval is good because i got the carb from a local sube guru that rebuilt it about a year ago. He use to work for subaru back in the 80s as there top tech at local dealer. The car starts fine only have to hit gas twice on even the coldest days and it fires right up on first turn. After its warm i dont even have to hit the gas i can just reach in and turn the key and it starts. I dont think it is the carb because when i look down the carb and hit the throttle it sprays in a nice mist on primary and secondary barrels. I do have the disty from 4wd engine thats why i want to know if there is a diff between the two. I know when i first put the engine in i had the 2wd carb on it and it ran like crap so i got the rebuilt 4wd carb and put it on and it ran great except for the gas milage. Thanks for the imput! Can anyone on here please tell me if there is a diff in 2wd and 4wd distys? I know the cap and rotor r diff but is there anything inside that is different?