Ultimate Subaru Message Board

getting ready to put the new tranny in

have you removed your old tranny, if so, how difficult was it? i may have to do a clutch on mine and the thought is just dreadful...

99 leg l sedan 2.2l 5M 30th anniv.

i dropped the tranny from the bottum first i took the whole exhuast system off in one peice 6 bolts where it hooks up to the motor and one back near the cat and 4 hangers, and it was off. then the shield between that and the drive shaft, then the starter,shifter,axles,motor mounts ,tranny mounts crossmembers,clutch and finally it was out, its going to take me a lot longer to put it all back together then takking it out,

did you have to tilt the engine rearward in order to gain clearance to slide the tranny off? how much distance between tranny and engine before it broke free? my only reference point is a clutch change on a 91 zr1, this looks to be a little more complicated.

did you have to tilt the engine rearward in order to gain clearance to slide the tranny off? how much distance between tranny and engine before it broke free? my only reference point is a clutch change on a 91 zr1, this looks to be a little more complicated.

we had to take the motor mount that goes from the back of the engine and connect to the fire wall to let back engine fall back, the hard part was sperating the tranny and engine block its a 5mt tranny and their was no gasket between them i broke my beefist craftmans screwdriver trying to sperate the engine and tranny i ended up using a chisele and hammer the get em apart

start with a screw driver and work your way up to wrenches, prybars and chisels to separate. the key is to gradaully and patiently work your way all the way around the bellhousing a little at a time. it'll separate easy that way, although it takes a few minutes and some patience because you just want the thing out of there by that point!

if you have a lift you can always pull the entire engine/trans combo together at the same time and separate them outside the car.

i can have a trans out much quicker from underneath than through the hood with my engine lift. but it is certainly easier in many ways to use a lift, working under the car sucks. good job getting it out, you saved yourself some time and effort compared to pulling the motor, hopefully it goes back in easy.

i need to pull the a/trans out of a wrecked 96 leg wagon to put in a 95, and i was thinking about pulling the engine as well for storage / future use. how long and how hard to do from above with lift?

john

start with a screw driver and work your way up to wrenches, prybars and chisels to separate. the key is to gradaully and patiently work your way all the way around the bellhousing a little at a time. it'll separate easy that way, although it takes a few minutes and some patience because you just want the thing out of there by that point!

if you have a lift you can always pull the entire engine/trans combo together at the same time and separate them outside the car.

i can have a trans out much quicker from underneath than through the hood with my engine lift. but it is certainly easier in many ways to use a lift, working under the car sucks. good job getting it out, you saved yourself some time and effort compared to pulling the motor, hopefully it goes back in easy.

from the front with a lift. depends what you're doing with the "donor" car. if you can hack away at the hoses, wires and cables you can have it out in an hour a half (less if you're fast or done it before). i'd plan on 2-3 if you're not trying to break records and disconnect things. really depends how much hacking you want to do.

cut everything - wires, hoses, throttle cables, trans cables (on the car side of the engine harness obviously, you'll need the engine connectors), sawzall some stuff, cut the exhaust, you could have it out in under an hour. this is feasible on a donor car as you'll use all the cables, hoses and wires from the receiving vehicle.