Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81T RX Turbo engine? 1986?

l decided to find out about the history of the motor, (EA-81T), that l fitted to my Brumby recently and was told this by the RTA,(Road traffic authority).

it's a 1986 Subaru RX Turbo engine.

Excuse me? l thought, it's a bloody EA-81, 86 RX's were 82's.

Or were they?

Anybody know for sure if Subaru in there infinate wisdom decided to use up any spare 81T's in the L Series, (loyals where you live l think), thanks.

Wouldn't that EA81T be out of a turbo brat? Any other EA81 car have turbos?

Yeah, I'm sure he ment ea81. So, WagonsOnly, what year was the jap import RX I's? I thought the first RX was a EA82 body.?

EA81T was offered in the Wagon, Brat, and Coupe in the US. RXI's were setup w/ EA81's sporting dual carbs.

The EA82 RX is an RXII and is the only RX the US ever saw.

Ya, I meant EA81, sorry about that.

The RX I was (I think) 1983-4, EA81T with a coupe body. The Leone RX II that the rest of the world got was the '85-'89.5 EA82 turbo in choice of 3-door and 4-door sedan body styles. Someone just posted a pic of an RX I, it's in the "Can I mount a snowplow on my Loyale" thread in this forum.

Yep thats what l think, they must have the years mixed up as l always thought the EA-81T engine was offered only in 83-4, not 86, they had well and truely been replaced by the EA-82.

Anyway, rather than trying to educate the RTA, (:horse: ), on the differences between an 81 and 82, l looked at them and said, " yeah, it's one of them, what you said, thanks for the help," and promptly hung up.