Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 95 Legacy LSi might be totalled, (elderly lady drove right into it when parked) So I test drove a 00 Outback limited today.......

The first part of the drive was smooth, car is AUTO, AWD with 98,000 miles. Seemed to start hard maybe a low battery I dunno, but everything checked out okay, then when I started driving it hard it overheated immedietly. Temp guage was pegged, didnt think that happened on the phase 2's. Guess I was wrong........

Anyways the salesman was with me and this was after I explained to him that I was a tech's assistant at the dealership right up the road and I explained to him all the problems of the Phase 1 and Phase 2, 2.5. Then it overheated....LOL ironic.

They want 8500 for the car as is as it sits with the over heating problem?

I dont know to much about ricing on these vehicles but does that seem high? It does to me but I really wanted some differnt peoples opinion.

Thanks

im not sure if this will help. My 98 legacy was totaled, so i bought a 97 OBW to replace it. I love the car. It has a higher ride, i think better handling, and more power then my 2.2. My leagacy kept hitting curb stops, the outback doesnt. Its easier to get in and out of, and had a nicer interior. i like the higher ground clearance. My only complaint is the wind noise from the roof rack.

My OBW has 182K on the orignal HG and tranny, and im sure it will go another 180K

Now who would pay for the HG repair? if the dealer fixes it it sounds like a deal, if its a As is ... i would have to think about it.

nipper

Pass pass pass pass pass on that one! You can only figure that it got traded in due to the overheating problem of which you don't know how many times or how long that was an issue, and who else has driven it since it was traded in??

Let somebody else :horse: like it is!!

Thats what I was thinking, they originally wanted 11,000 for the car, But I offered to buy it as is to get a cheaper price and pin pointed out all its lil problems and they only came down to 8500 AFTER the headgaskets went.

Should this be something I should look for in the 00 and up, I know that they leak EXTERNALLY but I didnt think that they would be internal and cause overheating like that?

I guess I'll definetly pass on this one, Like a97obw said, who knows how long its been overheating and stuff.....Oh well

If anyone knows anyone that has a nice 00 or up Outback Limited, I really only want the limited, feel free to shoot me a PM or let me know, i'd really like to find one thats in good shape, dont care how many miles are on it.

Thanks

Tim

beside, either they knew the head gaskets were bad and didn't say anything or they should have known and said.

Thats what I was thinking, they originally wanted 11,000 for the car, But I offered to buy it as is to get a cheaper price and pin pointed out all its lil problems and they only came down to 8500 AFTER the headgaskets went.

Should this be something I should look for in the 00 and up, I know that they leak EXTERNALLY but I didnt think that they would be internal and cause overheating like that?

I guess I'll definetly pass on this one, Like a97obw said, who knows how long its been overheating and stuff.....Oh well

If anyone knows anyone that has a nice 00 or up Outback Limited, I really only want the limited, feel free to shoot me a PM or let me know, i'd really like to find one thats in good shape, dont care how many miles are on it.

Thanks

Tim