Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VIN # on Dash....Quick question!!

the metal plate is only a quick reference to the VIN there are other places that the VIN is stamped on the cars plus a couple of decals with it, some of the locations only the cops know about from what i have heard. as far as taking it off i don't think it is illegal but i wouldn't leave it off for any reason, wouldn't want to chance it. you could always call the state police and ask them if it is illegal to take it off and put it back on after installation of your cover.

vin tampering is technically illegal. only a state inspection can modify vin plates.. if they see that its been removed or messed with it could make it an absolute nightmare to license your vehicle...

this has happened to me... it sucked

rllywgn

vin tampering is technically illegal. only a state inspection can modify vin plates.. if they see that its been removed or messed with it could make it an absolute nightmare to license your vehicle...

this has happened to me... it sucked

rllywgn

Well it's too late now...dash is done and ready to be put back into the soob...LOOKS SWEET!!

This is probably one of those "intent of the law" things that won't really come back to haunt you. If there's any question about it, I would just be honest and tell them why you did it. I can't imagine them really making a big deal out of it for an old car like that.

Plus the only people I've had look at it are the barely-employable people I've run into at the emissions testing places here in Washington, and you could replace it with a post-it note with the number written on it and they probably wouldn't notice.