Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I posted this question over on ausubaru.com, but it's a bit of a slow Sunday afternoon here.

Putting the spare EJ20T back together after head gasket failure.

The manual says to use Threebond 1215 or equivalent on the forward camshaft caps and the rocker cover. I've got Permatex Ultragrey RTV silicone. It's oxygen sensor safe and looks like it should be OK to use.

Does anyone know if this stuff is NOT suitable ?

Permatex Anaerobic Sealant is better for any metal-to-metal sealing duties. It sets up better, and any excess sealant remains oil-soluble so it washes away, rather than forming big clumps inside the the engine, which can break off and get stuck in the oil pickup, or the lifters, or somewhere else.

I keep telling people this, but nobody ever listens. Oh well :drunk: .

i've used ultra grey stuff in the past with no problem. like svxpert said, use the right amount in the right places and you're fine.

now i always use the anaerobic stuff, it's expensive but it is nice and is the "proper" stuff to use, no worries about using too much or getting in some passage you don't want.